How can I delete a post?

Kye

Reaction score
Could someone help me out. In a recent thread I posted a reply, but it gliched and posted it 6 times... i tried to edit.. and it didnt delete one... just kept adding... The delete button says that I am not authorized? Does anyone know how to delete a post?? Thanks!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Email a moderator or report the duplicate posts (just one of them will do) and we'll take care of it for you.

Luke

Reaction score
Just out of interest, why can people not delete their own posts or edit them after however many minutes ? Seems strange since there wasn't this kind of restriction needed at Delphi - is their a reason or is it just a default setting ?

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Just out of interest, why can people not delete their own posts or edit them after however many minutes ? Seems strange since there wasn't this kind of restriction needed at Delphi - is their a reason or is it just a default setting ?
Yeah I think that is annoying as well. I know what the company line is... they don't want people going through and deleting all their own posts, leaving holes in the threads a la Cory, but still. It is annoying.

Luke

Reaction score
It might not look nice - although as long as it's compeltely gone and not saying 'this post has been deleted' or something it wouldn't be that bad although ok, the thread might make less sense but it is kinda (at least i feel) something that people should be able to do - at least in the sense of editing - if they write something they should have the option to remove it.

I could say something really litigious, (not like it hasn't happened 50 times before already) and want to get rid of it, but i can't - without emailing Phil who probably got 100 other emails that day and so it'd stay up so long we'd probably both get our butt's sued - if not delete then i certainly don't see a reason why there is a time limit on people editing their own posts.

I'm not majorly complaining, i just don't see the purpose in the time edit thing.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A time-limit is in place for editing posts because there have been numerous occasions in the past where individuals will edit their posts in order to back-track a particular stance or add a lot of new info, instead of posting a new message. When an old post is edited, it isn't marked "new". Therefore, if the post contains a lot of new content it will be overlooked by most people.

Many boards do have a time-limit on editing messages. I have seen it as short as 30 minutes or even some boards that do not allow you to edit at all.

Currently, posts can be edited for up to three hours after they have been posted. In most cases this allows for time to fix typos and broken links, but helps to eliminate some of the issues described above.

Luke

Reaction score
Sounds pretty fair, thanks for the explanation Phillip.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
RE: Multiple Posts.

I used to get impatient with my computer, and so I hit the "send reply" button a few times, and then my post would show up a few times. Lately, I've discovered that if it's taking forever to 'send' the reply, I can hit "Stop" in my tool bar, then go "back" to the screens and hit "refresh" and my post magically appears.

Of course, you want to copy your text in case it didn't appear and then your compooter erases everything.

Sounds like too much work, but not really.

Thijs

Reaction score
Why is there a 30 sec time limit for posting a new post? Is it to stop cross-posting or has it another reason?

Kye

Reaction score
Thanks Phillip! Indeed I think that the rule is something we can all live with!
:smile: