1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How can someone hate Elmo?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by JustinHoskie, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly! Plus I'm from the Old School Sesame Street. There wasn't any 20 minute segment dedicated to one Muppet (No..I'm not jealous.) My younger brother & sister were pretty much too old for SS when Elmo gained his popularity (they're in their 30s now )
    My biggest fears with my nieces & nephew was that they'd refer to themselves in 3rd person like Elmo did. One niece is now 12 & watched SS & never referred to herself thank goodness. My 5 year old niece didn't really want to watch SS much(she DID go to Sesame Place though so she knows who the characters are.) I'm not sure if my 2 year old nephew watches SS much. He's more into the Disney characters .My 6 month old niece is kind of young for TV yet for TV yet I think.
    I wonder what would happen if we showed todays' pre schoolers an episode of SS without Elmo?
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

But there was a seven minute segment dedicated to cows. :news:

The problem stems from them needing segments in the first place. Elmo was just the first one because he was popular at the time. Since then, we've had lots of other segments devoted to other characters, some stuck, some didn't. I have more problems with Sesame Street being segmented than just Elmo's World. I swear you could break some off and make a separate show out of them.

I've had long diatribes about Elmo's World, but the thing is, no matter who would have hosted it (I could easily have seen it as Ernie's world if Elmo never reached that popularity), it's a weird fit. It feels like a completely different show for an even younger crowd. There's rumblings that something may change next year, but I won't believe it until I see it.

I liked what I saw of Elmo's Backyard. That's far superior a segment, considering the show has to be segments now.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  3. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

In a recent interview Carol Spinny (Big Bird) mentioned the Old School dvd sets and the disclaimer at the front of them saying that the old school shows may not be fit for today's preschoolers. Spenny went on to say that he felt that it was crazy and wanted to know whose idea it was to have that on there, he never got an answer.
    I would love test that with kids. have one group of kids watch shows from season 1-20 and then have another group of kids the same age watch shows from seasons 20-43. Then test the kids on what they learned and witch group learned more. I'm sure the results would surprise us all.
  4. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

When I watched SS, we were taught how to count from 1-20 & some Spanish words .To me they should have done the same for all seasons. Now they have this "Word On The Street" garbage at the beginning. What do they think; the kids from Seasons 1-10 were too stupid to learn anything?
    Convincing John likes this.
  5. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, the Word on the Street segments started when they were promoting reading and literacy, but now, they're basically there to re-iterate the theme of the street story, which I find redundant at times (you spend a whole episode explaining what "amphibian" means, then follow it with a 2-minute bit that basically explains it all again). Back then, the words they used weren't very advanced or anything ("dog", "family", "friend", "sigh"), but now they're promoting more words relating to their STEM curriculum ("deciduous", I'll be honest, I never heard of that word before).

I do think they should incorporate more letters and numbers into the show; they seem to take the backseat to the STEM stuff. I recall seeing one segment that showed the whole alphabet this season. The fault is also the block format, which limits the number of inserts they use per show.
  6. MasterOfMuppetz New Member

Cookie Monster has always been and will remain my favorite. However, Elmo has a special place in my heart, too. He's so lovable and sweet. How could you not love "Time To Say Goodnight" with Andrea Bocelli or "The N Song" with Ricky Gervais ? He has shown he can be cheeky as well with the hilarious behind the scenes videos with Ricky.
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Let's not forget... Sesame Street is and always has been an experimental product. They've subtly added more and more with each season since the beginning up until the 90's. Now they teach way too much. There might be a "dumbing down" of some substance, but they're far more advanced than they were when they started.

I've said it a million times before, but I really think Sesame Street has to drop initiatives. We lose a LOT of simple ground that Sesame Street was the foundation of to more complex elements, which are already seen in specialized shows. We get like 2 minutes of letter and number, and usually letter segments are those terrible Sesame Street English cartoons. There's a lack of balance, but let's face it... Elmo is not to blame for that.
  8. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well then I think this then would come down to the disliking of the shows material instead of Elmo himself.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

People just tend to lump the thing together, and blame Elmo for the changes in the program. That's what I always say. If it wasn't for Elmo, would they blame another character, or would they blame the actual producers and crazy studies that contradict themselves?

I honestly feel Sesame Street is trying to do too much with too many different things to focus on, but that is quite a different argument.

However, Elmo's World is quite an interesting piece of the conversation. Like I said before, what Elmo's World basically does is show the different ways that you can present a subject... through wacky skits involving the adult cast, talking to kids about the subject, showing cartoons about the subject, Muppets talking about a subject, film segments about a subject, singing songs about the subject... basically, all Elmo's World is doing is what Sesame Street has been doing all along... just in a matter where they do everything at once, making it repetitive and taking all the fun subtly out of those approaches. Everything's condensed into a tiny "Cliff's Notes" version of Sesame Street. It took me a while to actually connect the dots on that one, but that's all it is. Taking all the approaches of Sesame Street and trying to squeeze them into a 15 minute redundancy fest.
  10. mo Well-Known Member

I'm gonna shoot straight (veronica the muppets)I like big bird more than elmo but I love elmo. here's a short script of the worst bus ride of my life. around febuary.

friend: I remember getting something sesame street but I lost it.
    me:why would you lose something like that!
    friend: sorry.
    me: It was probably elmo
    boy: elmo?
    me: yeah! from sesame street! seriously if you guys lived in america...
    boy: I know elmo he's that little red retard!
    me: hubba wha?!?
    boy: yeah he's a retard!
    me: just shut up! you don't know the first freaking thing about him or his performer!
    boy: he's just a retard!
    me: I am a strong women and I will not let you say that to my face!

well it basically went downhill and the next day my friend told me to go up to him and do it again becaus he had said more bad stuff about elmo...I lost an argument and a friend I told her we still are but deep down I will never forgive her.
  11. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

yea I'm finding that some people ether love Elmo or they can't stand him.

I think your right Dr.thoth about Sesame doing to much, they are trying to pack a lot in one hour and it's not as fun as it use to be. Elmo is the easy target on this one because he is there and in the spotlight. I really think that some of the CGI and maybe Elmo's world should be a different show in itself. The quick lessons they have on Sesmae Street.com are sweet and they have a lot of different Muppets in them. Joey Manzno once said that they have a room full of Muppets that never get used, and it's a shame. He's right it is a shame, and why not do some recasting. I mean the Muppets have had to do a lot of recasting over the years and they could do more with the Classic sesame Muppets.
  12. heralde Well-Known Member

I just don't think I would have liked Elmo's World as a child. I remember what I liked as a kid and I remember why. And Elmo's World is not particularly witty or challenging, doesn't pull an real emotional strings and even as a kid that's what I enjoyed. I would have liked Sesame Street though, hehe. ;)

Don't get me wrong, some kids certainly like Elmo. But other kids wonder why they don't show more of the other characters.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The age that Elmo's World is intended for would be satisfied with a test pattern. The concept is very screwed up... like I said, it focuses on one subject with all of Sesame's approaches watered down. I give credit to the writers for trying to shove as many funny tidbits as possible (Kermit the Frog, the Looney Tunes references in "Ears," Jimmy Durante nose...virtually all the e-mails). It shows that they're trying to make the best of things. But something tells me they know they made a lousy segment, and they do want to get rid of it, but they painted themselves into such a corner that they actually can't do anything about it.

Still, I gotta say I never cared much for Ernie's Show and Tell, but I'm not blaming Ernie for that. It's a cute segment and all, but it seems that it should have been Grover or Herry. A character that's famous for doing kid interviews.

It's those darn initiatives, I tell yah. The thing is, those topics were what Sesame Street were covering all along... they just decided to loudly focus on them for some reason. They had science...

healthy eating habits...

nature and the environment...

and literacy...

And they managed to fit those lessons in 30 second to 1-2 minute segments. Sometimes they'd show a couple related ones back to back. We shouldn't value engineering over reading this young... engineering is something Sid the Science Kid should teach.

And here's the ironic part... Sesame Street didn't focus primarily on any of those things back when it started and there were few other children's programs. Now we have specialized kid's shows about literacy, math, science... and Sesame Street has to teach these things as well, even though the other shows who focus on those subjects do a better job.
  14. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Or,[IMG]This thing who deserves to be thrown headfirst into the Bog of Eternal Stench. No his friends would still accept him, and sing a stupid song like "You stink but we still love you! Our hearts are more powerful than our noses!"
  15. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of Gabba, but at least it didn't do irrevocable harm to kid's programming. No one's copying it (Futurama parody doesn't count), and there hasn't been a trend started by that series. It stands alone and is unique. It's popular with hipsters who have kids and like the fact that the characters are very Japanese-like and that one of the members of Devo apparently created it. Personally, I'm closer to Wubzy (mainly due to a friend's unrealized "KOOOOooooOOOOKY" meme), but I'll take Gabba any day over that talks like a tourist Dora.
  16. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Yeah Koooky is pretty silly. Wubzy goes under so eccentric it's entertaining. Gabba goes under so annyoing it's annoying.
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I haven't really seen Gabba yet, so I can't judge.

But Wubbzy has the same sort of humor Nickelodeon cartoons seem to have. There are notes of Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents in it, but more in the taste of a preschooler. I really felt that series was the turn around preschool show, as Wubbzy talks to the audience in a gentle, friendly style like Sesame Street usually does, rather than the loud, slow, bad American Tourist talk in most kid's shows today (Dora, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Superwhy)....

At least with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, they're actually giving Clarabelle Cow, Big Bad Pete, and Ludwig VonDrake some sort of merchandising presence. I haven't seen Pete stuff since Goof Troop, and Pete predates Mickey... nay... Pete predates even Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. he's one of the first cartoon stars Disney had... but I'm going off topic here.
  18. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

True, but I'll never get used to a nice Pete. Sorryit's not what I grew up with.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I really do hate how watered down the characters in that show are, though. The same characters were present in the superior, but made for a different audience, House of Mouse (and Mouseworks, the precursor that was only short cartoons).

Of course, you have to admit, Pete was actually pretty well behaved (yet a little mischievous) in A Goofy Movie and the sequel. I tend to think that Goofy and Pete are bonding over how their sons are growing up and going to college in that last one. But that's off topic and more suited for a Disney thread.

But the paradigm of preschool programming seems to be switching back to shows that don't talk down to kids. Dinosaur Train seems more childlike than childish, Curious George is still very popular (and that's written with humor adults can enjoy as well)... we need more of that and less of Super Why and Dora clones. Then, maybe then, Sesame Street will swing back and return to a show similar to what it was before. At least in the 80's or early 90's.
  20. Hayley B Active Member

I loved Elmo when I was a kid. I loved his baby voice. Though when he started to come around as Elmo, I did stop watching. But not because of him. But there was another show I wanted to watch that was on the same timeslot as Sesame Street.

Maybe too much of Elmo can annoy people? Nower days it's nothing but Elmo lots of the times and no stories of the other Sesame Street characters.