how can you tell diffrent styles of puppets just by looking at them ?

unheard

Reaction score
how can you tell different styles of puppets just by looking at them on the Muppet show or Sesame Street ?

i know about www.projectpuppet.com

sorry i mean telling the different pattern apart.

I guess fozzie bear is the same style as cookie monster.

but what about Elmo is he the same as Kermit ( a rod puppet ) ?
then there's Grover ?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Hmm...Not sure if I completely understand your question, but the ones with arm rods usually have the thinner arms and hands and you can often see the rods while the live hand ones, you can usually tell that the puppeteer's hand is inside the puppet's hand, and those hands have more dexterity.

Any more educated puppet experts care to add input?

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Okay, I think I see your question. You want to know which Project Puppet pattern would work for which Muppet. Well, here's an attempt at a basic list/comparison.

1. Fozzie, Cookie Monster, Oscar: Borsa pattern. These are all "live-hand" or glove puppets and this would certainly be the best pattern to try and duplicate them.

2. Gonzo, Kermit: Glorified Sock Puppet pattern. These guys (along with MANY other Muppets) are rod puppets as Gelfling Girl has indicated. Their hands are controlled by a stiff wire, or rod, while their mouth is operated by the puppeteer's hand inside their head.

3. Elmo, Grover and many other monsters: The Mostro Pattern. Although you could adapt the Roly Pattern from the Simple Series for these puppets the Mostro is a more spot on pattern. It includes some very helpful tips about working with craft fur which will be essential for creating any of the famous Muppet monsters.

Other characters like Rizzo are a little different in that his mouth is controlled not by a hand inside him, but by a spring loaded rod mechanism. I know there is a link out on the net somewhere that illustrates how to construct something like that. For now though here is another helpful link in helping you to identify the different types of Muppet body types and controls. Hope this helps!

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/muppet.htm/printable

unheard

Reaction score
thank you so much you info was very helpful.

now i just need to find out what they use for eyes.