how come Rowlf wasn't on Sesame Street?

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I was just watching the Sesame Street, sales pitch reel and Rowlf was a big part of it, a little more than Kermit. It seemed like Rowlf was going to be a big part of the show. I do know that at the time, Rowlf was the main character of the Muppets, but how come he didn't get involved with Sesame Street? Just curious.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Good question. I would guess that with all the other characters making their debut on Sesame Street, Rowlf kind of got put aside- maybe intentionally. The focus on new characters meant that some older characters had to step back. I'm just glad Rowlf got a pretty good gig with the Muppet Show!

BTW, Rowlf does appear briefly in the "Song of 9" short film that was shown on Sesame Street. As far as I know, that's his only appearance on the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah it was almost like Rowlf was the Grandaddy Muppet who helped push for Sesame Street but then made way for the new guys, hehe.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
BTW, Rowlf does appear briefly in the "Song of 9" short film that was shown on Sesame Street. As far as I know, that's his only appearance on the show.
I saw that, and thatw as cool to see, but I think he could've made a great addition to the show, but you certainly can't go wrong with Kermit being on the show, he was terrific. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And let's not forget... at the time, Rowlf became the Spokesmuppet for various different projects, and Jim didn't think it appropriate (or so I've heard) to have a commercial character on a Kid's Show..

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
.... *Pictures Rowlf getting ticked off at Cookie Monster's antics, suffering Grover's 'help', putting up with Herry breaking things, and Elmo's constant yelling at him.* I just see Rowlf taking it all in stride. Rarely did I see Rowlf loose his cool, like in the Muppet Show where he said a poem and everyone else started joining in. How ever, Kermit on the other hand, is always on breaking edge. He tries to keep things cool, but will join in and even make sarcastic remarks that make him seem so mean, but still loveable.

And besides, Rowlf can't do the facial reactions for when little girls claim Cookie Monster is a letter of the alphabet.

I think it also had something to do with the monsters being in the same color range as him at the time. The TV's back then just where experianceing color if I remember correctly, and Rowlf's brown fur may have classified him as a monster like FuzzFace, Scudge, BDM, FluteSnatcher, ProtoCookie, the Snerfs, and heck, even that green meatball thing that appeared in the C sketch.

I was shocked to know Rowlf made a cameo, but thats nothing. If I remember correctly, a FRACKLE appeared on the Show when bippa boppa or what ever, erm...The shows Mahna Mahna spin off is the best way I can describe him, sang All of us, None of us. The monsters included Cookie, Frazzle, Herry, a few whatnot monsters, and a Frackle. It just seemed weird.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
There's also a much later episode of Sesame Street, somewhere from the mid-to-late '90s I think, that makes a mention of Rowlf as a piano-playing dog that Bob knows. I thought that was really cool.
And speaking of characters from The Muppet Show being on Sesame Street, I still would love to see a Sesame Street special of some sort where Kermit makes a return visit to Sesame Street to visit the ol' gang there- and brings his friends from The Muppet Show. There's definitely room for some funny interactions there.:insatiable::eek::wisdom:

Fluffets

Reaction score
I was just watching the Sesame Street, sales pitch reel and Rowlf was a big part of it, a little more than Kermit. It seemed like Rowlf was going to be a big part of the show. I do know that at the time, Rowlf was the main character of the Muppets, but how come he didn't get involved with Sesame Street? Just curious.
Well first of all where did you see the footage? :eek:

And second of all, good question!
But maybe rowlf just was'nt such a beloved character but it probably would of increased his sucess if he WAS on it, I think it did wonders for kermit, it was him being on sesame street and presenting the muppet show that made him such an iconic character! Poor Rowlf got foreshadowed and instantly took piano lessons. Good topic by the way :big_grin:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Rowlf's interactions could go something like this:

*Rowlf is playing his piano by Oscar's trashcan*

Rowlf: Da, da, da, da, dadada, ta, da. Oh yeah.

*Oscar comes out of his trashcan*

Oscar: Hey! What's with all the noise fur-face?
Rowlf: Oh hey Oscar. Just playing a little melody on my piano.
Oscar: Well stop it will ya! That's one of the most joyest, lovable things I've heard in quite some time, and I hate those things!

*Oscar goes back in his trashcan*