How do I get a job as a Muppeteer?

gfarkwort

Reaction score
The Sesame Workshop does interns
http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/profiles/internshipGenInfo.asp?internshipID=711

and the Jim Henson Company has internships
http://www.henson.com/company/internships.html

However neither of the companies have puppet related internships...so it would have to be a covert job of networking. Also...sorry to say, they only accept college students who are majoring in something realated to what the offered internship is. So....you will have to wait a few years, and hopefully by then there will be more jobs availiable and/or the Muppets are doing something.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
GabeFirestone said:
i'm only 14, so could i possibly get some some sort of internship? i'd do ANYTHING to even be the person that scrubbs the bathrooms at the studio... :smile: PLEASE pm me or email; me at artzykidg91@sbcglobal.net!
You will probably have to contact the company to get a lead for an internship.

Marky

Reaction score
Blink said:
Yes very true,

Some people might say, "well some children push boundaries with adults/Sunday school tecahers as well."

This is also true. But think of it this way. If an annoying child (young or old) still doesn't seem to listen to the puppet charcater, your character has the same options as an actual person.

If a child keeps poking me and I have asked him/her to stop and they didn't, I would probably walk away from that child (of course some situation don't allow for that...but...). By simply saying that you (your puppet character) will leave if they keep doing the negative behaviour you will have set a clear boundary.

If that child crosses that line, just put the puppet away and follow through with your warning. It is incredible how children can police themselves. The group will not be very impressed with that child. You can then point out that only positive behaviour will bring the puppet back.

I agree with TheGirlIsABear though, it is a very tough situation.
I always like to use apolitical, atopical and ageless bizarre bufoonery as a base for my humor.

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
i know he probably gets this alot, but do you think that i could contact kevin clash? i know that he got started doing puppetry at an early age, and got his big break when he was discovered doing a puppet show at the age of 12! would he possibly be a good contatct?

sorry about my HORRIFIC spelling!

Marky

Reaction score
GabeFirestone said:
i know he probably gets this alot, but do you think that i could contact kevin clash? i know that he got started doing puppetry at an early age, and got his big break when he was discovered doing a puppet show at the age of 12! would he possibly be a good contatct?

sorry about my HORRIFIC spelling!
Not really. He's a Muppeteer himself. Best bet - send anything you have to Diz bigwigs - aka, the ones who do the hiring!

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
well, i was told that he is the one to send things to since he is the muppeteer captain, and he does scouting...

gfarkwort

Reaction score
yea...I disagree with Marky a bit....the suits are fine ppl to send stuff to...but they don't know puppeteering like puppeteers and Kevin is the one who does the scouting and he does hire people he thinks is qualified. He (& they) also hold auditions...which is probably a better place to have a chance for being hired because he can see you live and understress....because tapes can be edited to show the best.

Marky

Reaction score
gfarkwort said:
yea...I disagree with Marky a bit....the suits are fine ppl to send stuff to...but they don't know puppeteering like puppeteers and Kevin is the one who does the scouting and he does hire people he thinks is qualified. He (& they) also hold auditions...which is probably a better place to have a chance for being hired because he can see you live and understress....because tapes can be edited to show the best.
Yeah, he's the captain Sesame dude. You do need to kind of already be a professional performer w/ an agent, etc.

dollynibble

Reaction score
Young Hopefull

:eek: oh how rude!!.... im agreeing with the people who think there are less need for puppeteers today due to animation etc... im a 24 yr old puppetteer who has yet to be established :wink:!!....can anyone help me?, im Very expressive with my hands, i even use my feet and toes to perform!... i hope to one day work with my puppets for the BBC Childrens program and im trying to find out more on how to get my "foot in the door" as it were!..:wink:..maybe i should apply for a job as a cleaner at the BBC and work my way up!!! what dya think?....!.Mainly i just want to talk to some more puppeteers ! please reply , any piglits wellcome

Miss DeaDea

Marky

Reaction score
dollynibble said:
:eek: oh how rude!!.... im agreeing with the people who think there are less need for puppeteers today due to animation etc... im a 24 yr old puppetteer who has yet to be established :wink:!!....can anyone help me?, im Very expressive with my hands, i even use my feet and toes to perform!... i hope to one day work with my puppets for the BBC Childrens program and im trying to find out more on how to get my "foot in the door" as it were!..:wink:..maybe i should apply for a job as a cleaner at the BBC and work my way up!!! what dya think?....!.Mainly i just want to talk to some more puppeteers ! please reply , any piglits wellcome

Miss DeaDea
a) video tape your work. watch it, criticize & improve yourself.
b) send copies to agents (emailing digital clips is just as effective).
c) build your own website.
d) try to land an agent (not necessarilty for puppeteering, but acting, voicework, anything).
e) purge any contacts you have for connections.
f) get out there, volunteer, meet other puppeteers, look for classes, workshops, etc. Be willing to work for free.
g) videotape and photograph everything you do.
h) have self-confindence.
i)practice, practice, practice.
j) once you get contacts in the industry, then email/send anything you've got in your protfolio.
k) remember, there are more puppeteering opportunities out there besides Muppet ventures.
l, m, n, o and p)REMEMBER THIS!!!!

Don't let other puppeteers hold you back - take their advice with a grain of salt and/or run by any feedback or advice with someone you know cares about you and wants you to get ahead. Sadly, it can be cutthroat and talent & confidence can breed contempt/jealously