How do I make an eye blink mechanism?

whatadoddle

Reaction score
I have searched past threads but links don't work. I am making a blinking speaking tail wagging remote cat. It is taking over my life! I have always built puppets with soft foam head inserts, but I realise mechanical stuff needs a rigid outer to support it. I have tried making wooden "skull" type frameworks and they are O.K. but I am still left wit the best way to make sockets etc without them being attached to the eyes.
Also, what are the best sort of eyes, I am using wooden balls at the mo, but my head will be heavier than the average cat at this rate.
Any advice re; puppeteer servo boards, fors and againsts?
Any advice re; vacu forming machines for custom eyes. I make all my puppets and then watch them being wrecked in workshops (I do lots of kids stuff and special needs - not complaining but fact of life that I must expect some damages) I want to work on a few "specials" just for me and to show these kids just what can be done.
Any advice re; making cheap - ish hardwearing workshop type puppets.
Have I asked enough questions?
I just love puppets, as I did as a kid, and my daughter is the best young puppeteer I have ever seen (not just saying that) Can you really make a career as a puppeteer?
Lots of puppetty luv
Whatadoddle

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
One piece of advice: slow down!! It's awesome to see someone so enthusiastic but don't try tackling everything at once. Some of the techniques you're jumping in to take a few years to get down pat.

On the subject of blink mechs see my other reply - http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=251830#post251830

If the links in the old threads don't work do a Google search to try and find the updated ones. If that fails, post the specific links you're trying to find. I'm sure someone here probably has an updated URL.

Did you read the list of puppet building resources I wrote? If you go through it thoroughly it will answer most of the questions you're asking - http://www.bear-town.com/backstage_pages/puppetbldg_resources_pg1.htm

whatadoddle

Reaction score
I know I am falling over myself to ask questions and seem a bit over - keen :embarrassed: , however I have been designing and building my own puppets for many years now, I have written plays designed scenery and made props, trained puppeteers for full scale proffessional stage productions and have just finished co-producing a kids tv project. I am not bragging but it has taken me till the grand old age of 44 , after not bein' allowed to go to art school, dead end job,being someone that never says "no" to any request (certainly never paid for it), kids (love 'em) main carer now for 2 disabled people, before I found something I love :flirt: and makes me feel good about me! My health is :sympathy: not good! I want to do everything while I still can!
My cat project should work out because I have a friend who is a model aeroplane builder and expert, so he will help with my electrics, I just need to find a good way to support them.
Fibreglass sounds great!
OOPS, there I go again!
By the way it's 1:30 am here and I am too unwell 2 sleep!

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Hey, Buckbeaver, I have just spotted other useful stuff on your site that should keep me quiet for a while, I am just reading now, many thanks I appreciate all your help :big_grin:

Iokitek

Reaction score
I'm also busy building puppets with electronics. But I have had barely any prior experience. I won't slow down though because I feel that I don't need to. So I'll probably make alot of mistakes but I don't care.

I also needed to attract someone else to help me out with the electronics part. And I will probably build the framework out of alimunium. That's really easy to work with and light and solid. But to each their own ofcourse.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Best of luck with the electronics, I will let you know how I get on with the mouth mechanism etc, and warn you of any pitfalls, that's if you don't fall in them first!

Iokitek

Reaction score
thank you :smile: I haven't figured out yet how to make the mouth move the way I want it to move actually. So as soon as you're done with that I would love to hear more about it.