how do you like my puppets?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Great puppets! I expecially like the lady the bird and the old man. Are these made from scott foam covered in fabric found in stores? they look very professional especially for ones just starting. I've made a few puppets myself and are in the process of completing one for a puppetry workshop im attending and the mistakes ive made already! hopefully I will get much better at it next time.

Are they ostrich feathers used as hair?

also, im sure theres lots of girls who make/perform puppets but there does seem to be more males interested in it. Theres 3 girls in the workshop I go to though.

Ryan

Reaction score
Your puppets have a lot of potential. I particularly like Douglas and the bird character. One bit of creative criticism: You are both definitley getting your own style, which is great, but there's one thing that every beginning puppet builder should learn that if they don't learn can break an otherwise beautiful puppet. It's called the Invisible Triangle rule, and it was developed by Don Sahlin and Jim Henson back in the 60's. The main idea is that the pupils and nose should meet up to form an invisible triangle on the face. I've made a diagram for you here.

There's several reasons why this is done. One reason is just for the balance of the face. One of the biggest reasons why this is used is because the placing of the pupils will determine wether or not the puppet appears to be looking at the audience in tv, film or stage. This is a very crucial part of building that should be overlooked. The only puppet that doesn't really follow the rule is Marvin, but the others seem to be pretty good.

Here's an image of a puppet I built showing the triangle method. The triangle is a bit off in the image, just because of the way it was photographed, but you can get the general idea that way. Also, all of these examples have noses, but you can also follow the rule without a nose.

Keep building! You both obviously have talent.

pjspuppets

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses. I especially like the "triangle" advice. I know what you mean about the balance of the face, but hadn't ever considered it a triangle before. Thanks.

We're back from the I-Fest puppet festival, so we'll be putting some of these puppets on e-bay this week. Probably not Douglas (the green guy with the red hair) as my son doesn't want to part with him.

Yes, the hair on Douglas is ostrich feathers. It's about half of a feather boa from Hobby Lobby. We've only been able to find them there in red or purple. They sell them to the Red Hat Society ladies.

Pat

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, I have to admit, if all of us aspiring puppeteers/puppet builders got together under one name, we could build a long line of puppets that are MUCH better than the professional make for church ministries, and school plays.

Ryan

Reaction score
How much were the feather boas at Hobby Lobby? I'd like to get an ostrich boa for my next puppet, but I can't find a decent one online for a good price.

pjspuppets

Reaction score
feather boas

The ostrich feather boas at Hobby Lobby are around $20. Their non-ostrich boas are much cheaper, and come in lots of colors. Hancock Fabrics also has a great selection of boas at really good prices.

Pat

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The short-length feather boas at Hancocks were around $5 each. I have a horrible time finding the long length ostrich feathers. Drives me nuts! I'd love to use ostrich feathers in my puppet making.