How do you sew a fur covering?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jinx said:
Wow, that sounds like quite an impressive machine! I imagine its treadle operated?
Yeah, which is good once you get the hang of it (took me awhile). The old Singers are great and almost indestructable. You have to replace the belt every 10 or so years though it seems.

They don't make `em like they used to... :smirk:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I've found I have to replace the belt on my old SInger because the leather (on the older belts) or plastic (on the newer ones) gets old and begins to deteriorate, not because of any problem related to the machine.

I used to have a White treddle machine but my mother stole it. I'll get it back some day....

Jinx-- About that prom dress. I once hand pleated 9 yards of fabric into a 30" waist. Took me forever and right after I finished my mother told me she had a pleater foot that would have done it automatically on the machine in a matter of minutes. *sigh* That was the last 1780s ballgown I made. :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yup, the problem seems to be that the old leather belts eventually stretch but it has nothing to do with the machine - I don't think ours has had any problems for 40 years!

leliebel

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Leliebel - re: Making Fur

If you wanted to make fur, I know people who have done it using weaving techniques. Not sure exactly how they did it. It was time consuming, but looked very, very cool.

A good way to make shag fur is to dye mohair. There's a supplier in Alberta who sells to a lot of doll and puppet makers. I have the contact info somewhere - if anyone every wants to know email me privately and I'll hunt for it. I think I may have posted the address here in the forum at some point.
thank you buck! I'll look into it in the summer! I'd really love to try it. :smile: