How is just "Sesame" enough to know one means Sesame Street?

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Personally, I think that it has just become a universal thing; to know Sesame Street. Over the years, it has become so popular that you could just say the first word and begin a connection with someone.

Kiki

Reaction score
I've heard people, when referring to Sesame Street in conversation, just say, "Sesame" as in, "Sesame books", "Sesame toys", "Sesame Live", etc. How is the adjective "Sesame" enough for the listener to know that the speaker means Sesame Street?
I refer it to 'Sesame' as well, but I call it 'Sessie' a lot too, I don't know why, but that's what my family and I call it, fer short.

BEAR

Reaction score
It's sort of like how many people actually refer to the Tonight Show by it's proper name. Most people just say things like, "I saw Tom Hanks on Leno last night."

ISNorden

Reaction score
A lot of TV fans will call their favorite show by a shortened name. To use two non-Muppet examples: I've heard "Star Trek" called just "Trek", and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" called just "Millionaire". The "Sesame" short form has existed since I was in kindergarten, at least. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of TV fans will call their favorite show by a shortened name. To use two non-Muppet examples: I've heard "Star Trek" called just "Trek", and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" called just "Millionaire". The "Sesame" short form has existed since I was in kindergarten, at least. :smile:
If you ever read Herbie J Pilato's Bewitched book Bewitched Forever, if he brings up a specific episode, he'll refer to it by it's full name, then he'll shorten it for the rest of the paragraph or whatever.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I've heard people, when referring to Sesame Street in conversation, just say, "Sesame" as in, "Sesame books", "Sesame toys", "Sesame Live", etc. How is the adjective "Sesame" enough for the listener to know that the speaker means Sesame Street?
When was the last time you heard of books, toys, live shows, etc. about the seeds on a hamburger bun?

salemfan

Reaction score
Never! It's so obvious that people don't mean the seeds on a hamburger bun, if they're using the word Sesame in that sense. Yes, the only thing in that group that Sesame would refer to is Sesame Street.