How long does it usually take for overseas fans to receive a reply from a Muppeteer?

Koei

Reaction score
Hi everybody, this is my first time I've been in this forum.

I am Koei, and on February 6th 2006 , I sent a fan letter envelope to an (Ex?)-Muppeteer called John Tartaglia for his work in Avenue Q and the show Johnny and the Sprites.

According to the site called "Fanmail Biz", the contact address is the Sesame Workshop in Queens, New York City. This was the address where I sent it to, but until now, they still haven't seem to receive it in the mail room (21 days since I think). I know this because I phoned Sesame Workshop recently.

Does the Sesame Workshop receive tons of Muppeteer fan mail each week that needs to be sorted out, or do I just have to wait a longer time, maybe 3+ months? Would 3+ months be an unusual time length for a letter/autograph reply?

I live in Melbourne, Australia, so yeah, I'm very anxious.

Thank you in advance.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Uhh, well I would remail it to either The Golden Theater in NY or The Wynn Theater in Vegas..I wrote to him and it was forwarded from The Golden Theater to the The Wynn Theater and it came back, it took like three weeks, 3+ months is a pretty long time...

Hope u hear a reply...

PC

rowlf84

Reaction score
Yeah, what Pat said. He actually doesn't work for Sesame Street anymore because he's so wrapped up in his other projects. Besides that, if anyone ever sends fan mail to Sesame Street, send it to the Manhattan location (1 Lincoln Plaza, New York, NY 10001) because SS is only at the studio a few weeks out of the year. Better yet, if you're not sure, send all fan mail to Henson. I think they're probably better set up to handle it there.

Koei

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Yeah, the Fanmail Biz site updated his contact address with the Sesame Workshop in Queens, not Manhattan, doh. I just hope that they can still sort out the fan mail which they receive, and fish out my one, the Mail Room guy on the phone said that there's lots of letters.

And it has already been 3 weeks for me. Apparently, when John Tartaglia as a kid wrote his fan letter to Jim Henson before he died (1990), it took 6 months for an autographed reply (from the Advocate article)! 6 months is a long time, I hope I don't have to wait that much!

Btw, what is "Lincoln Plaza", is it a special administrative building of some sort? Because the Muppet Central website lists the Queens Sesame Workshop being on the 2nd floor... I didn't say "2nd Floor" on my envelope, just 1 Lincoln Plaza etc because the "Fanmail Biz" website didn't mention so.

Argh.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
rowlf84 said:
Besides that, if anyone ever sends fan mail to Sesame Street, send it to the Manhattan location (1 Lincoln Plaza, New York, NY 10001) because SS is only at the studio a few weeks out of the year.
That's not necessarily true: I've mailed Kevin Clash c/o The Jim Henson Company, and I was talking about Sesame Street in my letter.

rowlf84

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant mail either the Workshop (via 1 Lincoln) or Henson. Here's the story: Sesame Street production only films at the studio about three months out of the year (that's their location in Astoria, Queens) and besides that, your intended muppeteer may not be there when your letter happens to arrive. They are also very busy when they are at the studio and don't have a lot of time to sit down and respond to fan mail. The rest of the year, the production team goes back to the Workshop's administrative offices in 1 Lincoln Plaza (Manhattan). If your letter gets sent to the studio when they are not filming, it gets sorted by the mailguy and, if you're lucky, gets sent to the admin offices in Manhattan. Or, it may sit at the studio until somebody from production hopefully comes by to pick it up. Therefore, best bet is to send it to Henson c/o the performer you are trying to reach. If you want to send it to Sesame Street, send it to Sesame Street Production, c/o performer, 1 Lincoln Plaza, 3rd Floor. They will probably then forward it to either Henson or the performer's personal address. (I'm not saying other ways wouldn't work).