1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

How to make a Grover puppet?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by SesameStreet915, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SesameStreet915

SesameStreet915 New Member

Greetings! This my first time here in this forum, and I'm excited because I love Grover!!

I was wondering, what method should I approach to build a Grover-style muppet? I'm having a hard time googling what I need! There are no free patterns I have come across, but there has to be some somewhere!

Should I use foam to create the head and body? The foam head method I've seen on Youtube ends up in a different head shape from Grover's head.

What materials should I use? I work at Jo-Ann's fabric and crafts! This gives me weekly access to all of our materials and products! I would like to know because I want to look tomorrow for my supplies!

This is my first time trying to build a puppet, but I know arts and crafts really well, I grew up doing projects!

In case you're wondering, I am creating Grover to entertain my cousin's 3 year-old birthday party. I would also like to keep him around the house too.

But again, where can I find a possibly free template to suit Grover's shape, and what materials should I use?

Thank you for your time!

- Justin

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. koala3

koala3 New Member

Hey i just made my grover puppet myself. Don't have a lot of time but i'll go into more detail when i get back home. Adam Kruinger on youtube has a ball hat puppet head tutorial and it can get you the round shape. The fur does add alot to the head so you'll have to scale it down. The puppet project has tutorials for the hands for free. The fur you really can't find at joanns unless they can special order some. Theres a website called Mendels that has punky muppet fur. Its perfect for all those types of characters. My Grover isn't perfect but he came out great for me. Heres a link to some pictures i uploaded real quick with some descriptions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/105048251@N02/ Always happy to help!

MikaelaMuppet and HunterPeeples like this.
  3. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

Koala 3, your Grover looks great.

How do you achieve that great look on the fur? How long do you submerge it in water? What temp do you use??

Great job,

Chris

4. koala3

koala3 New Member

Thanks! On the fur i got a small plastic bin and poured the hottest water i could get from the kitchen sink, then dumped three bowls of water i heated in the microwave for 3 minuets. Then i submerge the fur for 15 minuets, maybe a bit longer because i got distracted. Rung it out in the shower, ran my fingers through it to make it monster messy and let it hang over the shower over night and then some. I noticed the current Grover also has his fur more brushed on the face and the one from a few years ago was a bit more shaggy. Going to work on a super Grover costume next! :super:

MikaelaMuppet and Kermieuk like this.
  5. TikiColadas

TikiColadas Active Member

Great job!

6. koala3

koala3 New Member

Thanks! I actually made him too big so I'm making another smaller Grover. Not sure what to do with "over sized" Grover since it was my first and I didn't build it well. People did like the Super Grover costume I made him! :super:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/105048251@N02/

MikaelaMuppet and HunterPeeples like this.
  7. CowbellaPiggy

CowbellaPiggy New Member

I would love to adopt your Grover sitting on the black recliner playing video games.... he's perfectly floppy/huggable looking! Please see my profile then let me know how much you want for his adoption fee :super:

MikaelaMuppet and koala3 like this.
  8. koala3

koala3 New Member

Send me a message :)

9. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

nice job! What did you use for the helmet?

MikaelaMuppet and koala3 like this.
  10. koala3

koala3 New Member

Craft foam! I cosplay a lot and 90% of things are made of craft foam! Thick 5mm black from hobby lobby. Just draw the shapes with marker, cut them out, and hot glue them. Buy some nice metal looking spray paint from Home Depot. I like using nickel and dark knight i think they're called.

MikaelaMuppet and FoxWorthy like this.
  11. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for fur similar to Grover's? Same color and fur. I bought some white fur but it doesn't feel right in the back. It's not very flexible and doesn't seem to dye well. Heard http://www.mendels.com/ was a great place to shop, but I'm trying to skip the dying part ha ha.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Fur isn't going to dye very well, no matter what color you try to dye it - I speak from experience, I also once tried to dye a yard of white fur charcoal gray, and instead it came out silver . . . I'm going to assume your fur probably came out a paler shade of blue like periwinkle or cornflower? What fur are you using? Sounds like you're either using luxury shag, or perhaps something found in a store like Jo-Ann or something: those tend to be really heavy and stiff which limits your flexibility. Maybe if you could find some Mongolian fur somewhere, and maybe matte it down somehow (boiling it perhaps) may give you a Grover look (unless you want a shaggier Grover, then I'd say leave it alone) - but Mongolian is so hard to find.

13. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No. Do not use luxury shag. I've tried it because it's easy to obtain, but luxury shag is not a good fabric: as I said, it's very stiff and heavyweight, and will result in a heavy and cumbersome puppet with limited flexibility.

15. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

Yeah, I bought some white fur years ago at Jo-anne's. I just went by today to grab some fleece and saw they had a faux fur like today's Grover. After reading your comment about the mongolian fur, I went back to Mendels.com and found some. However, their blue (copen) looks more like Cookie monster.

Clearly I'm trying to avoid the dying process ha ha. I'll have to look around.

EDIT

I found this. Here is the link for anyone else looking.

https://www.mendels.com/Shaggy-Mongolian.html

ryan19 and muppetperson like this.