How to make a torso for Kermit?

Justagreenfrog

Reaction score
Hi guys people have been telling me i need to build a foam shell for my torso they have told me i should use any thing for 1 inch to 1 and 1/2 inch and make a foam barrel shape how do i do this ?

if any one can tell me how to make something like this and share some pictures please and no im not using the project puppet pattern Ive found one that looks ideal for me

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Someone was supposed to do a video tutorial on how to construct a foam torso for puppets, not sure if he ever got around to it yet or not...

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Thats my pic lol
Like i said in the PM its just 5 () shaped peices of foam glued together..

My new one im doing is the project puppet body pattern to round it off a bit.

Justagreenfrog

Reaction score
I'm doing a four piece torso with 1" foam seven" tall () shape because I have the pattern for that. When i do my torso I'll document the build so people will see more of an insight

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
puppet project actually has a pattern for this, i have to say ive used it on most of my puppets and its a great pattern and makes a great shape

DanimalUK

Reaction score
I think 5 sides might be still a little sharp at the edges for Kermit. I did a little research recently on Jim Redbook website and this image was posted. Looks like Kermit's body from 1977 was made out of 8 foam pieces.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Here is a few pics of my new shape Kermit torso that i am working on.. Hope this helps..

The pattern, using the project puppet pattern as a guide modified slightly to make it wider round the middle rather than the base.

TikiColadas

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Muppetlab. Those are some great and helpful images!

Muppetlab

Reaction score
No problem Tikicolades :smile:
Its taken a lot of trial and error and experimentation to get to that haha
Using images such as this.. For reference

DanimalUK

Reaction score
Haha! thats one of the series of Kermit images i used for reference too.
I got some interesting info of how his hands are constructed through these, that his fingers are glue over wire and not stitched.