1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 18th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Christmas Shopping
    Support Muppet Central and get great deals for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

4. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

How to restore the Muppets to their former glory...

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Space Muppet, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:36 PM.

1. Space Muppet

Space Muppet Active Member

Nobody really cares about my opinion... after all, I was just a bit player, a background puppeteer on one Muppet film. But forums are a good place to blow-off steam. And I DEEPLY care about the Muppets, more than you could imagine. So here are my thoughts on how to 'reboot' the Muppets. Feel free to trash me all you like. I probably deserve it...

Step one: Re-instate Steve Whitmire!
    Step two: No more 'adult' projects
    Step 3: And this part saddens me... fire the Henson kids. They've let the company flounder for far too long. And their shockingly hateful attack on Whitmire shows me that they're simply not nice people.
    Step 4: Produce an all-new Muppet Show for TV & film it at Disney World. The park-attendees can enjoy the tapings. Do the show just like the original show, skits & musical guests. Run the show on the Disney Channel on Saturday nights.

Just the pitiful ravings of an old, sullen puppeteer...

Blue Frackle likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If nothing else, get the Muppets out from under Disney's control . . . even if JHC won't do anything with them, let them go to another, less corporate media conglomerate, that could actually figure out what to do with them, because it seems like Disney rarely has a clue of what to do with them, as Frank Oz has pointed out. I mean, it took Jason Segel practically begging them to take his screenplay to get that 2011 movie.

Heck, even Marty Krofft feels the Muppets have lost their direction in recent years . . . I mean, the Kroffts are a lot more business-savvy (well, Marty is, anyway; Sid, not so much), and they're super protective of their properties . . . what if the Muppets went to the Kroffts instead?

Blue Frackle and LStein like this.
  3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Just let Shout Factory take over now that they're doing business with Disney. They've done a wonderful job restoring Mystery Science Theater 3000.

4. Space Muppet

I'd love to see Kermit & company escape Mickey Mouse's evil grasp, but I just don't see that happening. Perhaps we could all pool our resources & buy the company for ourselves?

5. Space Muppet

I'd be down for that!

6. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Well-Known Member

How would steps 2 and 3 do anything to “restore the muppets to their former glory”?

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

In regards to step 2, I believe he means an end to Muppet projects that blatantly try to be adult for the sake of being adult, like the 2015 ABC show, or even HAPPYTIME MURDERS (yeah, yeah, that's not technically a Muppet project).

That much I can agree with, but I've said it a million times, and really don't feel like going through all that typing again. Basically, adult humor in the context of the Muppets work best when it's sly, subtle, sophisticated, and/or tongue-in-cheek.

LittleJerry92 and ConsummateVs like this.
  8. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

Steve seems like a nice enough guy, but i dont want to see him back as Kermit. I like Matt's take on the character. I wouldnt mind seeing him back in general playing Rizzo and background characters.

I dont know what "adult" projects the Muppets have done. The 2015 show really wasnt all that more "adult" than the Muppet Show. The problem was the Muppets were not in character.

The Henson's have nothing to do with the Muppets. They have zero control that I am aware of. They dont even make the puppets anymore. Based on your other posts you just seem to have a personal grudge against Brian for something he did 20 years ago.

I dont see how a Muppet TV show could have a live audience. So much of the original show was special effects. Doing it with a live audience would compromise what they could do. Plus, just making a show and putting it on the Disney Channel isnt exactly the key to making the Muppets popular.

You make the Muppets popular again by hiring a president for Muppet Studios that knows how to keep the characters in character, regardless of the project. They need a Kevin Fiege. Produce high quality viral content on a consistent basis. They need exposure to a new audience, but the Muppet Thought of the Week hurt them more than it helped. They need to make several videos of their classic bits like they did in 2009 and add in new bits. Then they can build up to a show on Disney Channel and maybe syndicate it to ABC affiliates. Combine media edforts with an expanded presence in Disney parks. Another live stage show, add animatronics to the Disney Studio street set, redo Pizza Rizzo to actually have a Muppet themed atmosphere, do another mobile labs type walk around, perhaps a traveling electric mayhem bus,

They will never be a billion dollar franchise, but with the right guidance they can at least be some what relevant. Iger has no interest in a property that won't bring in Marvel money though

9. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

It's a pretty bittersweet subject matter. I believe Jim said something along the lines of "they'll live on if the audience wants them to"; the honest to God truth is they live on in memes, and part of me thinks Jim is smiling down on that, odd as that sounds. It seems fitting.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

There is really only one step that needs to be done

Get people who understand the characters to writ for the characters.

LittleJerry92 and ConsummateVs like this.
  11. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I know Kirk still writes for the Muppets. I would like to see some of the old writers to come back along with some new blood that love the characters.

12. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

If I was in charge I would at least offer a creative consulting position of some kind to Frank Oz. He would not have to be involved in every little project, but just set the Muppets in the right course creativity, and character wise.

13. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

As time goes by there are fewer and fewer people that understand what the chara ters are. Steve claimed to, but even he had this weird morally perfect vision of Kermit that was not true to his Jim Henson self.

14. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Agreed, Kermit basically became the Mickey Mouse of the group.

I agree that they need a Kevin Feige to keep the characters and franchise grounded. That's what they had when Jim was alive, and to a lessor extent in the 90s when Brian was at the helm. Not to mention, the performers need more control over what their characters do and the stories they take part in.
    Yeah, as weird and tasteless memes can be by nature, i'm still always glad to see the characters have a major place in the mythos of the internet. Kermit is a meme icon! If Robbie Rotten has taught us anything, there can be a profound connection that people feel with people and characters who become memes.