How to turn a tape into CD??

BEAR

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I didn't know where to ask this question so I decided this would be the best place, in the General Discussion forum. I have a bunch of old Sesame Street tapes that have some great songs on them, some of which have never been released in CD format. I was wondering if there was any way to get the songs on my tape transferred to CD or MP3 format? Thanks for you help.

That Announcer

Reaction score
OK Bryan, this will be complicated, but I'll do my best.

The first thing you'll need is a Y-cable with two stereo out jacks and a stereo miniphone jack (you know it as a headphone jack). Next, find a tape player with stereo out jacks, and bring it near your computer (or, preferably, an MP3 jukebox with recording capabilities. I have an iRiver IHP-120, check it out at www.iriveramerica.com). Then plug the miniphone jack into the mic hole in the back of your computer (or the MP3 player).

Next you'll need a recording program. I recommend Cakewalk Pyro 2003 (I think their site is www.cakewalk.com). Open up the recording panel and make a new file. Choose your file format, and press the record button in the program. Then push play on your tape player. You should see an audio wave begin to take shape in your recording window. On terms of what to record, I would do an entire tape side at once, and edit it (with Pyro again) later. When the side ends, save the file. Then go into the "Record & edit audio" window, and insert split marks whenever tracks end. Save the file pieces, and you're done!

BEAR

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
OK Bryan, this will be complicated, but I'll do my best.

The first thing you'll need is a Y-cable with two stereo out jacks and a stereo miniphone jack (you know it as a headphone jack). Next, find a tape player with stereo out jacks, and bring it near your computer (or, preferably, an MP3 jukebox with recording capabilities. I have an iRiver IHP-120, check it out at www.iriveramerica.com). Then plug the miniphone jack into the mic hole in the back of your computer (or the MP3 player).

Next you'll need a recording program. I recommend Cakewalk Pyro 2003 (I think their site is www.cakewalk.com). Open up the recording panel and make a new file. Choose your file format, and press the record button in the program. Then push play on your tape player. You should see an audio wave begin to take shape in your recording window. On terms of what to record, I would do an entire tape side at once, and edit it (with Pyro again) later. When the side ends, save the file. Then go into the "Record & edit audio" window, and insert split marks whenever tracks end. Save the file pieces, and you're done!
Wow! Thanks, Announcer. It sounds kinda complicated. I suppose I can try it though. Is there not an easier way?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
There's a simpler way: get an amplifier, a Pioneer PDR-509 (CD player/recorder), a 3-pack of CD-RWs, and a bunch of audio cables to hook up to the amp, and you'll be able to record audio onto a CD-RW (OR CD-R) from any source (tape player, VCR, even DVD player). Then import the tracks into your computer (if it plays finalized CD-RWs) and fiddle around with them in any program you want.

BEAR

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, but isn't this a little expensive?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It's funny, Bear, I've been thinking about doing this with my Sesame tape, but I don't know how, so I've been trying to get the mp3's. This sounds really complicated.. maybe a really computer-y friend can help you? I think that's what I'll do..

Mario

Reaction score
I have a muppet tape from 80s probably, but I found it with the tape ripped, and I had to break it open to repair the tape. Sad, but it had to be done...

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
It's funny, Bear, I've been thinking about doing this with my Sesame tape, but I don't know how, so I've been trying to get the mp3's. This sounds really complicated.. maybe a really computer-y friend can help you? I think that's what I'll do..
You said it, Mrs. P. If I already have some of these nik-nak things that they are talking about and whatever I don't have isn't overly pricy, then I would probably be willing to tinker and figure it all out, but I'm not sure. I've got a computer, ipod, a stereo system with tape deck, but I dunno how it all peices together. I have a type of media editting software on my pc. I am not sure if it is all compatible enough to do what it is I want to do.

BEAR

Reaction score
Mario said:
I have a muppet tape from 80s probably, but I found it with the tape ripped, and I had to break it open to repair the tape. Sad, but it had to be done...
And you fixed it and then what? Did you make it workable again?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Whoops, I forgot: you'll need a pre-amp to run your Y-cable out of and your tape deck into, or you won't get any sound into your computer.

It shouldn't be too hard, just go to any pawn shop and a Radio Shack and you should be able to get the equipment.