1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How well does the new movie have to do?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by muppetsforlife, Nov 22, 2011.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, we've never had two Muppet films released two years in a row. I wonder if any movies took more development time than The Muppets (recently when Tough Pigs did a series of articles on Muppetzine it mentioned that Muppet Treasure island had numerous production delays).
  2. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

I'm so shocked that it's holding at 98%! Its just, I can't even think of a word for it! so I'll make one up! SupercaliMuppetFragilisticexpialiMahnaMahna!
  3. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

As the years pass I like MFS more and more. I certainly loved seeing it in theatres.

Id say my top list would be:

1. The Muppets Take Manhattan
    2. The Muppet Movie
    3. The Muppets
    4. Muppets From Space
    5. Letters To Santa
    6. Follow That Bird
    7. Very Merry Muppet Xmas
    8. Great Muppet Caper
    9. Muppet Treasure Island
    10. The Muppet Xmas Carol
  4. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I can't believe that I forgot VMX. I'd place that one third, between The Muppets and MFS, because of its wonderful, chaos-and-heart Muppety spirit and the message that Kermit has made a difference in the lives of everyone he knows.
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Man I seriously feel bad for kids who were dragged to Arthur Xmas, Hugo, Happy Feet 2, and Puss and Boots!

So hoping a grassroots word of mouth plus an organic explosion of viral internet meme catch phrases culled from the new film happens:)

So glorious. I want to see the Muppets over saturate the landscape on tv, toy shelves, print media, film and the media at large to the point people get sick of it:)
  6. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

I was amazed at how many parents that brought their kids to the movie when leaving were truly excited about the movie and commented how much they loved it. Just about everybody that was at the movie the 2 times I went had kids with them. But the parents enjoyed it even more. I think The Muppets have to overcome the notion that the movie is a kid's movie and once word of mouth gets out how great the movie is you'll see this change.
  7. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

It surpassed "Muppets From Space" in total box office the other day. Including the estimated five-day gross it has surpassed all of the original total grosses except for "The Muppet Movie." This does not take into account inflation, but it is still really good. Especially considering that the Muppets haven't been in anything major in years.
  8. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

i'm so excited for the new things!
  9. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

This week. Next week, all of the box office analysts are predicting (since literally no other films are debuting) that "The Muppets" will take the top spot with a lofty 16 million. So it could actually become the "#1 movie in America". Wow. Words can't surmise how incredible that would be. A Muppet movie. Number one in the box office. In 2011.

Oh and since everyone else is doin it:

1. The Muppet Movie
    2. The Muppets
    3. Great Muppet Caper.
    4. Muppet Treasure Island
    5. Muppet Christmas Carol
    6. Muppets Take Manhattan (sorry, it did not age well for me)
    7. Muppets From Space

(will I get trashed if I said that if I included VMX it would be above MTM? Okay I won't...)
  10. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

that'd be pretty good. i'm gonna bet it does better than that and tops 20 million next weekend. if the word of mouth is that strong it could do it, esp with no competition
  11. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Do it do it! VMX is one of my truly favorite Muppet things ever. It has a few too many shoehorned guest stars, but other than that it zings of Muppets surviving in the 21st Century and gives hope to us all.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Puss in Boots was WEIRD! Lemme just say that. I dug it, but there was something just odd about the whole thing. I did like the only forced pop cultury bit in there was a reference to Fight Club. Unless the thing was supposed to be a Zorro parody. The writing was better than most Shrek movies at least. I refuse to see any of the rest of them. I'm so glad more families sat out the Christmas one since so many superior Christmas specials and older Christmas movies out there... I totally cringe when I hear the reference to "No Child Left Behind" in the trailer... got any dimple chad jokes in there too? Keeping it current?
    Twilight isn't the competition... it's the other family movies that were... and it completely smoked them. I'd say that all the Twilight fans that wanted to see it, saw it already. But above all, it isn't a family film. I'm just so happy Jack and Jill is eating it.

Kinda forgot Chipmunks 3... that would have been very strong competition, only because the last 2 did unexpectedly well... That would be the movie to beat, as kids probably won't be screaming to see Sherlock. Me? I'm just waiting on pins and needles for Tin Tin. That's amazing, to have 2 movies based on Belgian comics come out in the US the same year... of course, only ONE looks like it did things right.
  13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I usually dont like the creepy Zemeckis mo cap stuff(tho Beowulf 3d was fun, and I liked both Final Fantasy cgi films) but yeah Tin Tin looks ridiculously adventurous. I just wish theyd also do an old school style animated film, like how they do both the modern Curious George and classic style in dtv movies.
  14. Drtooth

I hated Zermeckis's Mocap system... it looked ugly and unappealing.. this however, manages to breathe a little more life into that... plus, let's face it, the character designs in those Zermeckis movies were terrible (except for Monster House). it really looks to capture the adventurous nature of the old comics. I need to brush up on them after the movie. I tend to like Asterix and Lucky Luke more.
  15. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Of all the European comics, Tin Tin always really ignited my imagination as a kid. I never got Asterix or the other stuff...maybe lost in translation. But Tin Tin...when Lisa looks through a collected Tin Tin comic book in the "Coolsville "episode a few Simpsons seasons ago, thats how my childlike mind imagined it
  16. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Off-topic a bit, but when I was in Edinburgh over Thanksgiving, my girlfriend and I saw Tintin a month before it's out over in the US, and if you are at all a fan, you will be thrilled. And the movie is already a success, having made back its entire budget before even being released in America.
  17. Drtooth

Muppet Wikia has the adjusted Box Office gross of all the Major movies. Opening weekend it made more than EIG, MFS, FTB and Labyrinth... and it will no doubt pass MCC soon enough... maybe even more than MTI and MTM.
  18. 12Medbe

12Medbe Active Member

Just saw a commercial for the Muppets, it's being called "The #1 Comedy in America" and the best rated movie of 2011(something like that!)
  19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Nice! They should also slam Twilight in the ads while they're at it, maybe even ruin the ending with a sly comment from Pepe.
  20. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member