Humans and Muppets with good chemistry

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Well, they probably did it again. I never said they aired that take.

So, it must have been planned, on the second try, that the muppeteer doing Bert would not turn around and say "Hi" back.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
So, it must have been planned, on the second try, that the muppeteer doing Bert would not turn around and say "Hi" back.
No, it was just a weird blooper and Marty Robinson made a funny adlib off of the weird moment.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
No, it was just a weird blooper and Marty Robinson made a funny adlib off of the weird moment.

It may have been Marty Robinson's idea, but if they did the take over because the first one was awkward, they must have had a plan that Telly would speak and Bert would not. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to redo it.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
It may have been Marty Robinson's idea, but if they did the take over because the first one was awkward, they must have had a plan that Telly would speak and Bert would not. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to redo it.
I dunno, maybe I'm not explaning it good enough so I'm just gonna leave it. If you ever see it then you can decide.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I dunno, maybe I'm not explaning it good enough so I'm just gonna leave it. If you ever see it then you can decide.

I'm just saying that if there was a second take, it must have been agreed that Bert would remain silent while Telly spoke.

An ad-lib would have been something that Marty Robinson just threw in during the first take and was left in.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I'm just saying that if there was a second take, it must have been agreed that Bert would remain silent while Telly spoke.

An ad-lib would have been something that Marty Robinson just threw in during the first take and was left in.
Yes, before the second take it was Robinson who said "I'm gonna say hi to Bert". It was not decided that necessarily that Bert would say hi back and sort of didn't leading to Telly's "He never talks to me".
The reason why it was so funny for Marty to have Telly say that is because it is so true. Bert doesn't ever talk to Telly.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yes, before the second take it was Robinson who said "I'm gonna say hi to Bert". It was not decided that necessarily that Bert would say hi back and sort of didn't leading to Telly's "He never talks to me".
The reason why it was so funny for Marty to have Telly say that is because it is so true. Bert doesn't ever talk to Telly.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Censored

Reaction score
On a side note, I don't think Bert could handle both Telly and Ernie in his life.

Imagine Telly visiting them one day while Bert is reading and Ernie is playing with his Rubber Ducky:

Bert: Ernie, will you stop squeaking that duck! I can't read my book about pigeons when you do that!

Telly: Oh no! If Bert can't read his book about pigeons, then he won't learn new things about them, and...and...he won't know how to take care of Bernice! That means...he'll...he'll... have to give her to someone else who does know how! And..and...Bert and Bernice will never see each other again!!! OH NO! THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Bert: Telly, Telly, calm down...nothing like that is going to happen.

Ernie: It's NOT? Great, that means I can't play with Rubber Ducky! (squeak!) (squeak!)

Bert: ERNIE! Will you STOP that!?? I can't read my book!

Telly: OH NO! YOU REALLY CAN'T READ YOUR BOOK AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET RID OF BERNICE! IT'S AWFUL...IT'S HORRIBLE...!

Bert: No, Telly...I didn't mean...AHHHHHH...I CAN'T STAND IT! I CAN'T STAND IT! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!

Yeah, it's probably just as well Bert doesn't talk to Telly. The poor guy has to draw the line somewhere. LOL

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
The only thing Bert has ever said to Telly was "Thank You" in the early 80's when Bert sang the song "That's Love" and Telly said "That was really great Bert!"

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
On a side note, I don't think Bert could handle both Telly and Ernie in his life.

Imagine Telly visiting them one day while Bert is reading and Ernie is playing with his Rubber Ducky:

Bert: Ernie, will you stop squeaking that duck! I can't read my book about pigeons when you do that!

Telly: Oh no! If Bert can't read his book about pigeons, then he won't learn new things about them, and...and...he won't know how to take care of Bernice! That means...he'll...he'll... have to give her to someone else who does know how! And..and...Bert and Bernice will never see each other again!!! OH NO! THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Bert: Telly, Telly, calm down...nothing like that is going to happen.

Ernie: It's NOT? Great, that means I can't play with Rubber Ducky! (squeak!) (squeak!)

Bert: ERNIE! Will you STOP that!?? I can't read my book!

Telly: OH NO! YOU REALLY CAN'T READ YOUR BOOK AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET RID OF BERNICE! IT'S AWFUL...IT'S HORRIBLE...!

Bert: No, Telly...I didn't mean...AHHHHHH...I CAN'T STAND IT! I CAN'T STAND IT! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!

Yeah, it's probably just as well Bert doesn't talk to Telly. The poor guy has to draw the line somewhere. LOL
Actually, I could see a sketch like that. But I would have added something where Telly worries that if Ernie can't squeak his duckie, he'll have to get rid of him. Then maybe they come to an agreement at the end. That wouldn't be a bad idea. As for Bert not talking to Telly, that would just be cruel. But I see what you're saying it is hard to think up some ideas to have those two characters interact.