I-beam

dustinrn

Reaction score
For the new people: I just gotta ask- who was terrified of the real-life segment, "I-beam", aka the red-hot "I", besides myself? :eek:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I always loved it. My grandfather worked in a steel plant that made I-beams and he would always talk about it, and what he did, and he had a bunch of I-beams in his house. I always thought it was cool as a kid to see an I beam in the making.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I can only vaguely remember this skit, could anyone post a short description of it?

dustinrn

Reaction score
description

it's a film about only about 45 seconds long that was basically shown every time "I" was one of the letters of the day. (it ran from 1977 to 1994- then shown on reruns and unpaved) It was a real-life film, just a brief showing of a very large red-hot piece of steel being rolled into a rough shape of an I beam in a steel mill. The main scary element (for those that it actually scared) was that it was like "in your face"- you never knew when to expect it and when it came on it, the camera was so close up on the steel that it filled the entire TV picture. It was extremely hot looking, several thousand degrees I imagine, so hot that it was orange with black bits covering it and steam was coming off of it- every time the beam went through the rollers or when it was flipped on its side, large pieces of the molten steel would fall of it.... The music was loud and harsh, it started out with a loud clang- I can identify two pianos being played and a trumpet and cymbals..... :flirt:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh I TOTALLY remember that one now! I guess it was a little scary and I agree, the music didn't help much. Thanks for posting a description!

mikealan

Reaction score
This spooky 'I' film segment was seen on SSU# 2558 from Season 20, & SS#'s 2727 from Season 21, 3117 from Season 24, 2924 from Season 23, and 3239 from Season 25

dustinrn

Reaction score
according to the tech-ops dept at SS workshop, it appeared on 37 episodes.

Nickrj

Reaction score
Re:

It only appeared on 37 eps from 1977-1994? Seems like alot more to me when I used to watch the show. I thought they would show it every time the letter I was one of the two letters of the day.

Also I don't know why I can't ever find a video file or pics of this film. Or a mp3 file of the music being played with this film.

ssetta

Reaction score
dustinrn said:
according to the tech-ops dept at SS workshop, it appeared on 37 episodes.
Did they list all the episodes?

samtherobot

Reaction score
I music

I was simultaneously horrified and drawn to this skit. Some of you out there probably have this skit and might be able to identify the music track. When I was in a music class in college I heard a piece called "Enter Evening," by the Cecil Taylor Unit. It immediately reminded me of the "I." You can find it on his album "Unit Structures," and I think there are previews for the track on Amazon.