I finally made a puppet!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
unusual puppets

Melonpool said:
I made a Crow from MST3K out of the same found objects that they used for the show (Bowling pin, tupperware, hockey mask, soap dish, etc.) I don't know if that's really what you were thinking of.

Oh, and I was one of the early people to do this -- not when it became all the rage a few years ago. :wink:

Steve

Actually that kind of thing was exactly what I was thinking of. Do you have any pics?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
AAAUUUGH! Your crow is so awesome! I loved that show!

BTW, how ya been, Steve?

Melonpool

Reaction score
Good! The comic has been chugging along now for 21 weeks and I'm generally happy these days. I've been thinking seriously about making a new batch of puppets (aside from Mayberry, the rest of the cast was built back in 2000 and are showing their age). I also -- as always -- keep thinking about doing a new puppet film.

I guess we all have our pipe dreams, eh?

How are you?

Steve

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Been voted in as President of the Mid-South Cartoonists Association, and in November we became a sub-chapter of the Southeast Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society. What does that mean? I got title! heh heh... But, at the SEC/NCS forums a guy posted about his sculpting and I saw Melonpool characters in his site! Look VERY good!!

Muley is still going through all kinds of events and morning news shows and stuff here, but nothing to fuss over. He's still the Official SpokesMule of the Ronald McDonald House of Memphis. He made a few appearances at a local convention here in town, but turned-tail and split when too many of the scary comic book guys were stopping to talk to him. Heck, it scared me, too!

The same convention: A buddy of mine and I did a performance of "Feed Me," and it turned out pretty good considering we had the music but no microphones so we had to be REALLY as loud as possible. The thread about the convention is here http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=19207 and the particular post about the video of "Feed Me" is here http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=263223&postcount=5

I'm going back in to COMPLETELY re-work ALL of the Muley strips. Got a VERY helpful review of my work from Greg Cravens, who writes and does the art for the strip The Buckets (and is a member of the MSCA), so I'm going to rework all that and compile the strips into a comic book.

So, I'm keeping busy here!

And I just hi-jacked this thread and didn't mean to. Sorry, SesameKermie!

Great puppets, man.

Melonpool

Reaction score
This'll be the last of my hijacking this thread as well, but I wonder how many other cartoonist/puppeteers there are out there. A lot of people joke that I'm like the Ted Knight character in "Too Close for Comfort" that had a "Cosmic Cow" puppet that he used while drawing his comics.

Ever heard of any others? Maybe we should do a story about puppetry/cartooning for one of the trades.

Steve

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't consider myself a cartoonist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've studied animation and comics quite a bit over the years. I think both are very similar to puppetry and puppeteers can learn a lot from them. I'm actually going to a bunch of intensive comics seminars in a few weeks and I'm likely to be the only guy in the place who can't draw well. :embarrassed: