I MET ELMO's CREATOR!

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
At summer camp today (I'm 14 for those of you who don't know!), I met the man who came up with the idea for Elmo! His dad was a puppeteer on Sesame Street, so he just helped his dad out! Later on, he was given a job as "concept and design", and created the red, fuzzy Elmo that we know today!

HE ASKED TO SEE MY PUPPET, and may HOOK ME UP w/ the Jim Henson Company!

He also wrote 10 books. I'm blanking on his name right now!... oops! sorry! :big_grin:

Erine81981

Reaction score
GabeFirestone said:
At summer camp today (I'm 14 for those of you who don't know!), I met the man who came up with the idea for Elmo! His dad was a puppeteer on Sesame Street, so he just helped his dad out! Later on, he was given a job as "concept and design", and created the red, fuzzy Elmo that we know today!

He also wrote 10 books. I'm blanking on his name right now!... oops! sorry! :big_grin:
Let's see? Hmmmm your proubley talking about Kevin Clash. He' pretty a pretty cool guy. I haven't ever meet him but just seeing him just makes him seem like a likable guy. I would love to meet him. My favorite character of his is Hoots. And then from the Muppets I like Clifford. Neat to know that you got to meet him. Good luck on the JHC thing. Hope to hear about it.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
That is awesome you meet him. i hope he likes your puppet. good luck.

BEAR

Reaction score
I don't think they mean Kevin Clash. They mean the person who actually created the puppet design and concept for Elmo. Not the performer. Remember that the Elmo puppet was around long before Clash started performing him and giving him the personality we know.

muppetperson

Reaction score
GabeFirestone said:

I hope the person isnt pulling your leg.Doesnt sound like a puppeteer would let his son design a puppet.If the guy was around your age at the camp, forget it.Designs for puppets are usually done by a creative unit within the company.Sounds a bit strange to allow a son of a puppeteer to design it.Just a gut feeling, but I could be proved wrong.:confused:

gfarkwort

Reaction score
his son probably drew a picture that inspired elmo or something muppetperson....

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
not to burts the bubble or anything here, but , i know the people who built the original, Elmo was simply a background red monster ,

Basicly the shop was told we want a Blue one ,A orange one, and a Red one, so thats what they did, (ahh things were so much easier in the 70's, and Early 80's)

fishbone

Reaction score
yeah..it was so ghetto,i loved it..nappy fur..the street was dirty ,mr. hoper & david were still alive..buffy & cody..man.. seasme street sucks now..

F

furryredmonster

Oh my gosh! So cool and awesome if this really was!!

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
Ahhhh!

I don't think I explained myself correctly...

The man I met was the creator of the Elmo character, and what he looked like, but he didn't actually make the puppet... :smile:

ALSO: He got a job with JHC when he was older... his father worked there, and he got into puppets because of his dad (they didn't hire an unexperienced kid!)