Idea for new Gorch movie

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I was just thinking that a good move on Brian Henson's part (and a step towards some more adult-oriented entertainment for the Henson company) might be to do a feature length movie based on the old Saturday Night Live Gorch Muppets. It could be a fantasy/comedy and have some adult humor. I'm not talking South Park or Crank Yankers-level of adult, but at least as adult as they got on SNL in the 70s, which is more adult that most Muppet productions. I dunno. Could be fun.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would like that. If there was a movie, maybe that could justify a release of all the Gorch sketches on video and DVD (or if not all sketches, then the best ones). I am not sure of the chances of a video release of just these sketches, but if there was a video release, how else could it be sold without using the Muppet name on the cover? (would average people buy a video called "the best of gortch"?)

anyway, with a movie, most of the characters would have new performers. Jim henson and Richard Hunt are dead, which would mean recasting Ploobis and Wisss (although I guess John Kennedy and Bill Barretta could do Ploobis), I am not sure if Alice tweedy (queen peuta) has even done any performing for henson outside of SNL, Frank Oz (fuvog) would probably be too busy (although Eric Jacopson could do it), Jerry nelson is semi-retired, and if he limits himself to just sesame street, I don't know if he would be willing to perform scred again, and I am not sure if Fran brill would do Vash again (when is the last time Fran Brill did something for henson that wasn't Sesame Street?). of course, this could be an opportunity to make some funny new characters for them to interact with.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but it'd never happen. Gorch never took off in pop-culture. And now that the Muppets are under the wing of Disney and being coined solely as revived pop-culture relics, the meat of Jim's vision is stripped away (ie. The Jim Henson hour-style production, Gorch, etc.), and only what will sell remains.