Ideas for noses?

greenman

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a puppet a need some ideas for a nose. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you. :confused:

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
By ideas do you mean shape of the nose or how to create one or how to attach it?

A nose can be made of anything you can think of. When it comes to building a puppet...anything goes.

I personally have cut a ping-pong in half and covered it with stretch fabric and sewed it onto a characters face for a little nose affect.

I also like to shape dense styrofoam and also cover it with strechable fabric and glue that to the face. For some characters I have made a large nose in the shape of a teardrop type which is kind of a funny effect.

I guess it depends on what personality you wish your puppet to have.

greenman

Reaction score
I mean what kind of material and how to attach it. I do have a foam nerf ball that I was thinking of using as a nose. But I'm not quite sure how to attach it. The head is made out of reticulated foam. Do most people just glue them to the head or are there other secure ways to attach them?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
You could use velcro with an adhesive backing, but with a foam rubber nerf ball, I don't know how well the velcro's adhesive glue would hold. At least if you tried it you can always reposition it.

Sewing is out because the Nerf ball is bare foam rubber and it would tear.

You can glue the nose on with a hot glue gun. But hot glue can make parts hard and stiff when it cools down. But it depends how much glue you apply.

There is also contact cement, but the strong fumes the glue gives off are best to use outdoors.:eek:

Crazy Glue can be a good choice too if used in small dabs.

But with any glue, once applied, the original material will never be the same if you try to remove it.

If you are not sure of the final look for now, you can always pin it.
Many 'what not' Muppets have their noses held on with pins.

If the puppet head and the nose were eventually covered in fabric. I would sew it.
Anytime you can avoid glues, your healthier for it.

vaderdentist

Reaction score
noses

If you are really set on using the nerf ball as the shape and color.......try finding the stretch fabric in the same color as the nerf.........cover it and sew the nose to the face. With nerf......you'll definitely want fabric on it for it to stick properly to your puppet.

Dave :smile:

Phantom

Reaction score
Just pick one...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...I kill me....