if books were adapted into episodes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What if the various Sesame Street books were adapted into epsidoes of the show? What segments would you want to see included? What letters and numbers would you have be the sponsors?

Here is one rundown that I think would be great. Keep in mind that I haven't read a lot of Sesame Street storybooks in a long time. I wil mention when certain street scenes occur. Some street scenes wil just be made up for the show.

Early Bird on Sesame Street
Ficticious Season: 1984-1985
Sponsors: M, W, and 7
  • Street Scene #1: Big Bird wakes up, greets the viewers, and has some breakfast.
  • Breakfast Time
  • Everybody Eats
  • Grover the waiter: bacon and eggs
  • Which Came First (The Chicken or the Egg)?
  • The People in Your Neighborhood (concerning teachers and a newsdealer)
  • W is for Worm and Walrus
  • The National Association of W Lovers
  • Typewriter: W-wall
  • Wanda the Witch
  • Street Scene #2: Big Bird is in the arbor area, observing the fact that nobody is on the street, or in Hooper's Store. He decides to take a walk around the neighborhood.
  • Who You Looking at, Tiger?
  • Mumford's cookie trick
  • Seven Song (Song of Seven)
  • Cookie Monster (in voice-over) observes a baby eating a cookie
  • Street Scene #3: Big Bird observes bakers getting ready to open a bakery. He then sees firemen getting ready for work.
  • kids watch a movie where a woman must escape a burning building
  • Kermit and Grover try to put out a fire in the forrest
  • Dollhouse
  • Teeny Little Superguy: Crossing the street
  • Caveman Days: crossing the street
  • Batman and Robin chase the Joker and give a lesson in street safety
  • Street Scene #4: Big Bird sees a group of police officers stand in line
  • Dragnet parody about the letter W
  • Mystery Drawing: M
  • Never Invite an M to Diner
  • Herbert Birdsfoot talks about M and W
  • shapes form patterns (sketch seen in Play-Along Games and Songs)
  • Street Scene #4: Big Bird watches people getting ready for work at an apliance story. He notes that the clock says "7:00", and realizes that he usually wakes up at 7.
  • The Alligator King
  • Mad Painter #7
  • Pinball Number Count #7
  • The Count coutns 7 flowers
  • Starfish
  • Monsterpiece Theater: Me, Claudius
  • mixed-up sign: burp
  • The School Game
  • I Can Do it by Myself
  • Street Scene #5: As the day begins, Maria and Luis get ready to open the Fix-It Shop, David opens Hooper's Store, Mr. MacIntosh sells some vegetables to some kids, and Bruno takes Oscar away from the street. Meanwhile, Big Bird falls asleep as Maria (in voice-over) announces the sponsors.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had planned on listing more in my last post, but something suddenly came up. Anyway, here are two more outlines:

Oscar's Rotten Birthday
Ficticious Season: 1974-1975
Sponsors: N, U, and 9
  • Street Scene #1: Susan, ob, and some kids come to oscar's can to wish him a happy birtdhay, but Oscar is very upset that it's his birtdhay, and rudely asks them to scram.
  • Take a Breath
  • Roosevelt Franklin tells his class that they are as good as anyone can be
  • Nine Song (Song of Nine)
  • Mad Painter #9
  • Ernie has Bert stay outside the apartment
  • Street Scene #2: Big Bird, Susan, Mr. Hooper, Biff, Sully, and some kids talk about how Oscar is unhappy because it's his birthday, and decide to throw Oscar a surprise grouch birthday party.
  • I'm Pretty
  • Sesame Street News: Rupunzel
  • James Earl Jones counts to 10
  • Bill Cosby twins recite the alphabet
  • Hard Working Dog
  • Lefty attempts to sell Ernie a U
  • a dog learns about the letter U
  • Harvey Kneeslapper: picture of U
  • Beat the Time: Grover
  • cast of Bonanza counts to 20
  • Street Scene #3: Bob asks Sam to provide some party music, but instead plays opera, african tribe music, and some really bad music. By the time he plays some party music, Bob figures that Oscar would probably rather hear non-party music.
  • Martian Beauty
  • Kermit demonstrates "between"
  • Which Came First (The Chicken or the Egg)?
  • Jazz #9
  • Jazz Alphabet
  • Herbert Birdsfoot watches Cookie Monster figure out how to get a cookie from his cookie contraption
  • Put On Your Klatiklutt
  • Street Scene #4: Susan, Gordon, Bob, Maria, Herry, and Gladys show up and surprise Oscar. At first, Oscar is upset that they are throwing him a party, until they sing "Unhappy Birthday to You", show Oscar some yucky cake and ice cream, and present him with his first present, the letter N, for "No", "Nasty", and "Never".
  • a reporter interviews the letter N
  • Nancy the Nanny Goat
  • Sherlock Hemlock invents paper
  • Alice Braitwaite Goodyshoes demonstrates wet and dry
  • Street Scene #5: The Mudman delivers mud to Oscar, and since it's his birthday, the Mudman gives Oscar an extra jar of mud for free. Gordon presents Oscar with a warthog film.
  • Warthog film (from episode 131... or was it 276?)
  • Street Scene #6: And now Maria presents a special performance by Little Jerry.
  • Mad
  • The Great Cookie Thief
  • a man talks about the word "up"
  • Street Scene #7: Mr. MacIntosh gives Oscar some rotten fruits and vegetables. Oscar has enjoyed his birthday, and can't wait until his next birthday.
  • "what if a frog swithced bodies with a fly?"
  • The Weather Show
  • Bein' a Pig (animated version)
  • Street Scene #8: As Oscar plays with his presets, Maria announces the sponsors.

A Day in the Life of Oscar the Grouch
Ficticious Season: 1978-1979
Sponsors: G, L, and 4
  • Street Scene #1: Oscar tells the audience that today, they will gett o see what a regular day is like for Oscar. But first some words from the sponsor, G (which stands for "Grouch").
  • A gorillia gets a job interview
  • Grover and the G
  • Willie Wimple: Land Pollution
  • A Song from Kermit
  • Street Scene #2: Oscar tells the viewers that it's the time of the day that everybody rushes to work, and Oscar enjoys the rush.
  • Four Lions at my Door
  • Jazz #4
  • Harvey Kneeslaper: sticky four
  • Pinball Number Count #4
  • I Just Adore Four
  • Ernie tries not to wake up Bert during his nap
  • Everybody Sleeps
  • Street Scene #3: it's time for everybody else to take their naps, but Oscar plays his trombone very badly. He also announces an L word, "Lost. Now GET LOST"
  • If You've Lost Your L...
  • La, La, La
  • One of These Things (involving kids playing sports)
  • Sound it Out
  • We All Sing with the Same Voice
  • Street Scene #4: Oscar observes Slimey playing in the mudbath
  • Solomon Grundy
  • Rubber Duckie (second version)
  • Madrigal Alphabet
  • Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard
  • Windy
  • Herry and John-John talk about "up" and "down
  • a cartoon man talks about "up"
  • Yellowstone Park
  • The Nobel Ostrich
  • Scene #5: Oscar announces the sponsors

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are a few more ideas, though probably not very realistic for 1980s episodes, as Ernie and Bert are both invovled in the main street plots.

Ernie's Little Lie
Ficticious Season: 1981-1982
Sponsors: A, K, and 8
  • Scene #1: Mr. Hooper welcomes the cast to the show, and announces that he is having an art contest. The prize will be a paint set. Ernie really wants the paint set and goes home to paint a picture.
  • Today's Secret Drawing: Nurse
  • A Little Bit at the Beginning
  • Beat the Time: The Count
  • Jellyman Kelly
  • The Geefle and the Gonk
  • several rabbits pull each other in order to get a carrot from the carrot patch
  • Scene #2: Ernie works on his painting when the mailman comes over and gives Ernie a painting of a tiger from Ernie's cousin, Fred. Ernie contemplates turning that painting in to the contest, but then decides not to. He then gets back to work on his painting.
  • Who You Looking at, Tiger?
  • a square teaches a hipster to draw shapes
  • Over, Under, Around, and Through
  • Speech Balloon: A-ape
  • an ape escapes from a train and goes to his birthday party
  • A is for Alligator
  • Scene #3: Ernie finishes his painting. Bert wakes up and leaves, but sees the tiger and thinks that it's Ernie's painting, without giving Ernie a chance to tell him that it's not.
  • a loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a stick of butter
  • Kermit draws a K
  • K-kiss
  • Scene #4: Ernie goes to Hooper's Store to set things straight, but when Big Bird, Maria, and Bob all comment on the painting, Ernie has second thoughts.
  • an orange sings Carmen
  • The Ballad of Casey McPhee
  • Inzalk Pearlman and a kid play the violin
  • Scene #5: It's time for the contest. The first entry is a number 8, but the perosn who painted it isn't present. Since nobody will claim the painting, Mr. Hooper disqualifies it.
  • Mad Painter #8
  • King of 8
  • Pinball Number Count #8
  • Scene 6: Mr. Hooper judges the other paintings, and really likes "Ernie's" painting. Mr. Hooper then says that the winner will be announced shortly. Ernie worries about the results.
  • a flower opens and closes
  • The King's Problem
  • The Nobel Ostrich
  • Scene 7: The winner is the painting that everybody thinks is Ernie's, but Ernie finally tells everybody what the deal is, and says that he'll give the paint set to his cousin.
  • Sesame Street News: George Washington's father's cherry tree
  • Hamburger Bun Factory
  • Scene 8: Bert looks at the painting that Ernie really painted, while Big Bird reads the sponsors.

Ernie's Big Mess
Ficticious Season: 1987-1988
Sponsors: E, V, and 20
  • Scene 1: Godon and the kids play "One of These Things", concerning three bananas and an apple. Afterwards, they hear singing from the basement of 123 Sesame Street. It must be Ernie taking a bath.
  • Scene 2: Ernie takes a bath and splashes water all over the room. Bert can't stand the mess in the house and tells Ernie to clean it up. Ernie comes out of the bathtub and makes a bigger mess, prompting Bert to angrily say that he sometimes wishes he lived all by himself.
  • Somebody Come and Play (original version)
  • What Do I Do When I'm Alone?
  • Teeny Little Superguy: egg beater
  • Scene 3: Ernie packs his bags and moves to Big Bird's nest, but the sticks in the nest keep poking Ernie.
  • Don't Waste Water
  • Willie Wimple: Water Pollution
  • two kids argue over a cookie, prompting Cookie Monster to state that the smallest person should get the cookie
  • Fay Ray in animal disguises
  • Scene 4: Ernie decides to stay at Grover's apartment, but Grover's bed is too small for both of them.
  • Everybody Sleeps
  • Up on the Rooftop
  • Beat the Time: Elmo
  • a drill sergeant 0 has the numbers 1 through 20 call out their numbers
  • Herry and John-John count to 20
  • Cast of Charactors
  • Miami Mice: The Count needs to get to a space station
  • I'm an Aardvark
  • Scene 5: Ernie knocks on Oscar's can, asking if Oscar is asleep. He was asleep, but is now awake. Ernie then decides to sleep in the arbor area. Meanwhile, Bert feels guilty about what he said to Ernie, and looks for him. He finds Ernie in the arbor area, and takes him home.
  • E... E... See me, eating a peach...
  • What's My Letter?
  • Forgetful Jones and Buster brush each other's teeth (remake)
  • The Villian in the Patima Hat
  • Two-Headed Monster at the shoe store
  • Splish Splash
  • Scene 6: Ernie accidently makes a mess when he opens his suitcase, but Bert says that he can clean it up in the morning. Bert reads the sponsors.