If Jim hadn't died in 1990

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there would have been more television specials since Jim's passing. There were a lot of Muppet specials in the 1970s and 1980s, but since his death, there bhave hardly been any non-Sesame Street/ non-behind-the-scenes/ non-Henson documentary Muppet specials.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
There was that A&E Biography special for Sesame Street.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think we would have seen many more specials. and they would have been SPECIAL because Jim would have been involved.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
There's not very many T.V. specials in general produced today, though. I mean when was the last time you saw a NEW animated Christmas special on regular broadcast television? They keep reairing Garfield, and Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph and all that, and I'm grateful. But except for the cable stations producing stuff for their particular stations they don't have T.V. specials the way they used to when I was a kid.

And I remember they WERE special, it was a big event. Anyone remember the old swirling ABC or CBS SPECIAL logo. I remember being EXCITED seeing something new like that. Times have changed.....

unclematt

Reaction score
You are right seeing those specials are few and far between

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I agree. I've always been very interested in Jim's early work and everytime I attend these retrospective things at the local museums in NYC and even the Huntington event last summer, I am AWED by how much his mind was always going creatively and like you said was looking towards the future.

I recently obtained a copy of his early film "The Cube" and it is one of the most brilliant projects I've seen him do. No puppetry, no Muppet characters, and yet the story and the characters were top notch and it reminded me very much of the original Twilight Zone episodes. Like Rod Serling (another true creative genius), Jim saw a new medium of entertainment (television) and took it to the next level and ran with wild ideas that made for great viewing.

YET, in this particular film you still saw his wacky humor step through and things you would see used on the Muppet Show later on. I think if Jim were around today he'd be not only trying to produce different kinds of feature films but would be producing very interesting independent projects, like someone here said, internet projects and the possibilities are endless.

That's why I get so annoyed when people TO THIS DAY only associate Jim with Kermit and Sesame Street and cutesy kids stuff. Jim had so much other creative energies to give and it's sad we'll never see the results of that.

Where do you hear people just accociate Jim with Kermit and SS?

I don't think any of his other projects would of been a famous if people thought like that.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am not sure if I know what you are trying to say.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Peoples is Peoples…However Some Peoples is Fickle

Where do you hear people just accociate Jim with Kermit and SS?

I don't think any of his other projects would of been a famous if people thought like that.
What makes me cringe is there are many I have met in their early 20s that primarily link Jim Henson with the Muppet Babies cartoon show! :sympathy:

I admit that it's not my favorite project, but it has its place. But certainly not as Jim Henson's main achievement. He had little to do with the program.

There are many ignorant people out there when it comes to Muppets and Jim Henson. A fair amount of blame falls to the Henson Company. They dropped the ball in terms of marketing and brand promotion after Jim died. Disney is building that up. That's what they're best at and why Jim wanted to sell to the mouse in the first place. :big_grin:

I often pin a random Muppet bean on my back pack. You don't know the number of people that misidentify Animal as Grover, Oscar, Elmo or even Gonzo for some reason! :concern:

If people are having trouble identifying Muppets, how can anyone expect them to take notice of the much lesser-known projects of Jim Henson - as wonderful as they are! I’m glad Neca is making affordable, well-received Labyrinth and Dark Crystal figures. Those slipped through the ignorance of retailers that keeps Fraggle items off store shelves.

I have a feeling that Jim’s legacy will grow in the near future. I see some of that potential happening now with the bio film, the Designs and Doodles book and other Jim-themed concepts.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
If Jim was still alive he would still be active with the muppets like Carol Spinney.
He sure would have! Sesame Street was that things he was most proud of towards the end of his life. But it's just that he wanted to be remember for so many other things that he did and wanted to too, also.:smile: