If JIM HENSON was alive TODAY

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean I don't want to be be naive and say everything in the past was better, obviously that's not true. But I do think there were higher standards of quality before. And I am disturbed that our pop culture has really started emphasizing changing yourself to fit in, rather than taking pride in who you are. Of course on the other hand the threat of conformity is nothing new, Jim had to tackle that in the '50s and '60s I'm sure. I do think we go in circles sometimes and we just need to look to the past for guidance (and then look to the future). :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I mean I don't be naive and say everything in the past was better, obviously that's not true. But I do think there were higher standards of quality before. And I am disturbed that our pop culture has really started emphasizing changing yourself to fit in, rather than taking pride in who you are. Of course on the other hand the threat of conformity is nothing new, Jim had to tackle that in the '50s and '60s I'm sure. I do think we go in circles sometimes and we just need to look to the past for guidance. :smile:
Entertainment projects in general have become cheaper and sleazier over the last decade or so. Some of this has to do with technology. It's cheaper, easier and more accessible for anyone to produce video media these days. It's a good opportunity that's usually squandered on less than noble pursuits. Just look at what the internet offers, yet the majority of use is to titillate rather than inform. I'll stop there, but you catch my drift.

If Jim were alive today I believe he would have influenced more quality projects to help balance the more disposable ones. I think eventually audiences will come back to quality entertainment, but the crummy stuff gets the lion's share of money and attention first.

Artists used to sweat for their art, but few have to leave the basement these days. I encourage anyone who has a Super 8 camera or 16mm Bolex to break it out and see what kind of film they can cut together using these classic tools. The difficulty and expense require planning that automatically bumps the value of a piece over the standard digital video project.

New media techniques didn’t have anyone of quality to help usher them into place. Jim would have done a great job in that area.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Ok well if Jim where alive today wow hmmmmmmmmm . There are a few things that i have to admit that is hard for me to , about that .

The first thing is this , yes the standards back then where a bit more pure than what they were then .

One thing that really bugs me is the fact, that if Jim where alive Disney would be doing better in the merchandise for the Muppet's .

Muppet's from space would not have had very much of the "crude Jokes " that where but i have to admit that yes i bought the DVD as soon as it came out and yes every time that i do watch it i laugh even now and yes i did buy it for my i pod as well .

I did want to admit what i thought about the what if of that fact though .

I know for a fact that there would have been more network TV specials , and also cable and satellite specials combined .

The pure heart thing of Jim's work , was so special but i have to say even with Jim's family involved i am still so happy about that even if yes with every family the kids are not going to be the same as the parent completely .

Even with all the things that i have said there i still love the muppets and will always be buying the new stuff for my collection and be surppurting them because they are always time less and a joy to be since the age of 2 years old ,

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Artists used to sweat for their art, but few have to leave the basement these days. I encourage anyone who has a Super 8 camera or 16mm Bolex to break it out and see what kind of film they can cut together using these classic tools. The difficulty and expense require planning that automatically bumps the value of a piece over the standard digital video project.
Hehe, well put! Ironic that we work so hard for progress, but then progress take away the hard work NEEDED to get there! :insatiable:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well that's the big debate really among fans, hehe. Which is fine, nearly every big franchise has these never-really-resolved-debates that serve to keep the thing alive, hehe. For my part, I don't see perferring the past as "undaring", I just see it as recognizing the best work. But I won't quibble, I think there's room for both. :smile:

My concern though is, I think the past Muppet projects have nearly gone out of the public consciousness in recent years. The Muppets have not been given the respect so many other classic forms of media have, for several reasons. One, older media in general is getting a bad rap. But also, there's been a lot of attention placed on putting out newer Muppet projects (that have not attracted the same huge followings) and not enough attention on perserving the older ones.

It's the people behind the Muppets' responsibility to keep the past work alive, Jim's work alive, and I don't feel it's happened. I know they're trying their best. But it's hard out there right now for classic media, and even more so for the Muppets. :cry:

The newer projects have had many opportunities to reclaim and it hasn't happened. That doesn't mean it won't ever, I'm open to the idea. But I'd prefer for there to be some balance between the old and new. :smile:
They kinda have with newer muppet fans and that irks me a lot. Like, once I was talking to one of my friends and I asked them what their favorite scene was in The Muppet Movie (1979) and they said the "Rowlf"part where he's sleeping in the hammock. He was referring to The Muppets (2011), and one of my other friends were bored halfway through TMM and MTM and loved TM'11. Those two were younger muppet fans. For one the new muppet projsects are no where near stuff like TMS, TMM, GMC, MTM, MFC, MaWDW etc. and The Muppets (2011) is so OVER RATED I want to hate it sometimes. In the end I think Disney needs to spotlight older projects.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
A few things would've happened if Jim were alive today.
  1. The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made would've been released around 1991.
  2. Frank Oz would still be performing with the muppets.
  3. The Muppets would unfortunately be CGI animated due to Jim's love of technology.
  4. The Disney deal would've been completed in 1990.
Those are the only things I'm certain would've happened, but muppet history would've been much different. Stuff like MTI, MT, MFS, VMX, MWoO, LTS, TM'11, and LGatMHS probably wouldn't have been made, and if they were they'd be different. Oh well, at least Jim managed to create the muppets and spark creativity.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
He was referring to The Muppets (2011), and one of my other friends were bored halfway through TMM and MTM and loved TM'11. Those two were younger muppet fans.
Maybe when they're older, they'll learn to love TMM and MTM. Wow, I never thought I'd say that someone might not like those two Muppet movies until they're older. That's really sad.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Maybe when they're older, they'll learn to love TMM and MTM. Wow, I never thought I'd say that someone might not like those two Muppet movies until they're older. That's really sad.
Well by younger I mean about 15. I'm not sure why, but younger muppet fans basically like The Muppets (2011), and that's why they're muppet fans. I seriously think TM'11 was so over rated. I'll admit it was a good film, but it copied the plot of IAVMMCM, and people didn't think IAVMMCM was great (I loved it though). Also people sometimes just watched TM, because of the celebs. When Jason Siegel's singing man or muppet my friend walks in and says "Hey, Marshall"! There's nothing wrong with that, but the younger folk really need to get to know the muppets. Though at least he liked GMC and MCC.