If there were a Labyrinth video game...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yes, I know there was one. I don't care.

Have the old one as an unlockable for nostalgic purposes, but...

There would be two acts, one with Sarah, which deals with the movie, and one with Toby, which accommodate more of the Return to Labyrinth manga.

You wouldn't start off with Sarah wishing away Toby, though. You would actually start off as Jareth, having recently had issues with Mizumi, the Queen of Moraine. The types of responses you give her will influence how you treat Sarah later. For example, if you desire power, your traps will be more severe and you will have more conversations/thoughts about power or the lack of it. If you don't think Mizumi loved you, then you would obsess over the lack of love and the Labyrinth would be more about keeping people out, so there'd be more path changes. If you thought she was too serious, the Labyrinth would have more riddles and the traps would be more playful/funny. As the manga has stated, Jareth created a living labyrinth and the Pathmaker (the heart of the Labyrinth) governs the layout ... which is why this scene or scenes would be important.

THEN we'd retread the beginning of the movie. Race home before seven o' clock. Try different things to calm the kid. Get frustrated ... call up Jareth. Get stuck with the plot of the movie. :wink:

Although it would be a puzzle/action game, choices during key conversations would affect the types and severity of those puzzles/events.

There would also be more "bubble dream" sequences than just the ballroom one. They would help Sarah and Jareth explore some of their issues. If Jareth focused on power, Sarah would whine about how teenager = powerlessness. If Jareth focused on love, Sarah would deal with her lack of popularity or relationships (either about any b/f's or her abandonment issues with her mother). If Jareth focused on seriousness, Sarah would admit to liking the quirkiest things.

Fight your way past the Goblin City. Save Toby. End of Act 1.

Interlude. Mizumi mocks you for falling in love with a human and again offers herself as queen. You choose the conditions of the bet and if she wins she gets to keep the Labyrinth.

Start Act 2 as a goblin, sent by Jareth to use stealth to spy on teen Toby and accomplish his wishes.

Toby ends up in the Labyrinth because Skub stole his term paper.

Now you're Toby. Since you're somewhat more clever than your half-sister, you try to cheat more (though it doesn't work, it can be really funny). You don't take the Labyrinth for granted and can try to scale the walls, chop your way through the hedges, etc.

Deal with Hanna and Stank. How you treat them affects how "helpful" they are on your run-through. Since Mizumi sends HER creatures out to get you, you also now have to deal with persistent enemies, so it gets a little more action-oriented.

Jareth names you his heir at a ball. Mizumi has you on her hit list.

Now, the mangas aren't done yet, but the rest of the game would be managing goblins (as Prince) and trying to find the Pathmaker (under Mizumi's influence).

The ending would depend on how Sarah and Toby acted.

Sarah decided to stay because she fell in love with Jareth: YAY (j/k)

Sarah succeeds but Toby fails: Jareth tries to woo Sarah again, wiping everyone's mind of Toby

Sarah succeeds and Toby succeeds (and they both want to go home): Jareth promises never to bother either of them again.

Sarah = win, and Toby = win (but Toby decides to stay): he becomes Goblin King and Jareth hits the road.

Sarah fails: Well, we could either end it here or let Goblin Toby run Act 2 ...

Redsonga

Reaction score
Sarah decided to stay because she fell in love with Jareth: YAY (j/k)
Yay! (not j/k)
Really, even if the manga is official I don't care for everything it adds :stick_out_tongue:. I would much rather just stay with the 80's movie plot :smile:....

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Be honest ... you just don't want Sarah to have any competition. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Be honest ... you just don't want Sarah to have any competition. :smile:
Not exactly, I just don't know how I feel about so many people being made canon after the fact (I'm not sure if I would even feel good about it if they were my own OCs really) ..of course it could be a side effect of the 80's movie rubbing me the wrong way to began with but..I liked it better when I could just imagine Jareth's reasons for things... Actually, I still can :big_grin:! *stays in fantasy world, thank you very much* :3!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL ... well, Jareth didn't really have a backstory. Over on imdb.com, we kinda came to the conclusion that all this backstory stuff happened when Sarah apparently successfully made him "real" (remember when he sings in the Escher room about needing to live outside her).

That's partly why I included a scene where you could basically choose which reason you wanted Jareth to have. Obviously, choosing "love" would make it ... shippier. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Shippy! :big_grin:
I don't think he was made real, I think he always was real but it is a different world next to ours, Sarah just cast him out of his link with her so he wasn't 'within' her anymore :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Henson Interactive should jump on this idea of a Labyrinth video game. If done right it could be a cash cow for them.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I imagine it like what I read about some game called Fable or something, where choices you make affect the whole rest of the game.

Fluffets

Reaction score
Sounds good, I hate manga though, it creeps me out. This also makes me think that there should be a series of henson games. I found out in the reviews section that there is such thing as a sort of Muppet Show game but I think it could of been better or with better graphics. (From what I'v read/ picures.) And there should be a Dark Crystal game if there isn't already. I'm gonna now write more about this stuff when I make a thread about it. Gotta go make that thread NOW! :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be awesome if Labyrinth or Dark Crystal had MMORPGs? I mean, if someone's going to be a little troll or goblin or elf or something ... why not make it from a Henson property?