If they had mentioned David's death on the show

Aleal

Reaction score
Besides, by that time, Mr. Handford was already running the store, and had been for almost a year or more by the time Northern Calloway died, comparing dates. With the exception of Mr. Hooper, and he deserved to be the exception, there has never been any mention of characters once they've been dropped, whether because they died or left the show. They don't talk about Linda or Mr. Handford or so on either, and while I can understand the nostalgic desire to have old friends mentioned, it happens very rarely in adult television either ("M*A*S*H*" being one of the few where recast characters were never forgotten), let alone other kids shows. And assignificant a character as David was, he hadn't been with the show from the very beginning, which Mr. Hooper had. Plus, while seven years seems like a long time between episodes (Mr. Hooper in 1983, Calloway/David in 1990), considering how many people to this day remember the "Mr. Hooper" episode, it would have been a mistake to try to recreate that. They could have dealt with it another way, perhaps, without mimicking the way emotions were dealt with regarding Mr. Hooper, but again, the character's departure had already been explained.

The only cast member outside of Will Lee to receive a tribute was Michael Jeter, just in the credits of "Street We Live On," which struck me as appropriate, since the other Mr. Noodle lived in Elmo's fantasy world anyway, so having him die would have been utterly inappropriate.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I always figured they could have mentioned David's death on the show, and everything still would have turned out okay. It could have had Big Bird and Elmo coming into the store to Order something, and they could ask Gina where David is, that they haven't seen him around lately. Gina could explain to both of them that David had died. Big Bird would understand right away, because he remembers when Mr. Hooper died. Elmo however would have questions about it, asking if there was any way they could bring David back. With help and support from both Gina and Big Bird, Elmo would slowly begin to realize that David wasn't coming back. It would be sad, that's true, but neccasary. If you think about it. Although they had already adressed death on the show before, it was in 1983 and David died in 1990 so therefore a whole new group of Youngsters were then watching the show religiously. I don't think a goodbye David episode would have hurt one bit.
That's true, but it was Northern Calloway was the one with the illness and passed as a result of it, not David. Plus, he had already moved away on the show and left the show in real life at the time.

However, I could see then explaining his death if he was still on the show.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I guess you guys are right that Northen Calloway left the show first, and then died a few months later. But what I'm wondering is why didn't they just replace David with another actor, instead of bringing an entire New Charachter (Mr. Handford) into the scene? Why didn't they just bring in another actor to play the part of David, like they did with Gordon twice before?

Aleal

Reaction score
First, I don't see why recast a character. They did do that with Mr. Handford himself, but for the most part, it was rare. Gordon was the major exception because he was one of the original four residents, and because of what he represents. From the various pedagogical writings and newspaper articles and press releases from CTW, one can piece together fairly clearly that for the most part character changes or additions are not random or arbitrary. Gordon had been conceived as "a strong black male identification figure." When Matt Robinson left the show, and especially given the Gordon character's marriage to Susan, a recast was inevitable.

Mr. Handford was conceived as a retired firefighter. From what I've gathered, this aspect was later diminished or forgotten, but part of his role was to function not only as an older black figure, but to offer safety drills and tips, which were apparently worked into a storyline where Hooper's Store has a fire (tips evidently not passed onto the subsequent buyer, as indicated by a relatively recent plotline). We're looking at this from the perspective of nostalgic adults, not educators or even child viewers. By 1989, there had been no recasting of human characters for more than ten years, as opposed to earlier when the show was still developing. Sesame Street characters come and go, that's how it is, and I think we as adults are more apt to think about when characters came and left than as children.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I guess you guys are right that Northen Calloway left the show first, and then died a few months later. But what I'm wondering is why didn't they just replace David with another actor, instead of bringing an entire New Charachter (Mr. Handford) into the scene? Why didn't they just bring in another actor to play the part of David, like they did with Gordon twice before?
I think it would have been hard to find a new actor to take Northern's place. Maybe they felt that kids wouldn't have been comfortable with a new David. Though I see what you're saying, considering they have done that with Gordon, but that was back in the 70s and I guess they had different ideas since then. But I don't know, Miles and Mr. Hanford have been recast. It seems like the writers are never consistent.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
This is slightly changing the subject but I vaguely remember the transition from the second Gordon to the current one. The way I saw it Gordon must have suddenly lost his hair for some reason since I knew that some adults went bald. Just like my daddy heh heh

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I never knew that the actor who played David left to do other things, I thought he was still on the show when he died. They replaced Miles too? I thought he and Gabi are played by the same people since they first appeared on Sesame Street.