1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

If they had mentioned David's death on the show

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BooberFraggless, Mar 3, 2006.

1. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Know one said he left to do other things and he probably just quit since he wasn't well.
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

No, there have been 3 actors play Miles and 2 play Gabriella in the series run. Miles was actually first played by Roscoe Orman's (Gordan) real life son, Miles. Then was played by Imani Patterson for a long while until a few years ago the role was taken over by Olimade Faison. Gabbi was first played by Sonia Manzano's (Maria) real life daughter Gabriella until she didn't want to be on the show anymore at the age of about 5 (I think). Since then, Desiree Casado has been playing the role. Hope that helps.
  3. Marky

Marky Member

Whew! That's a lot of knowledge, that there be.
  4. BooberFraggless

BooberFraggless New Member

I always wondered what the reasons were behind the first Mr. Handford (Leonard Jackson) leaving the show. He was only on for one Season, and he always seemed very unhappy while on screen. But I just always figured that was the type of charachter he was to portray. Someone who is older and somewhat grouchy, like Oscar. But when the second Mr. Handford came along I noticed he was much more lively and ambitious.
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It kind of wouldn't make sense to replace David since they wrote him out of the script.
  6. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

That statement doesn't really make sense. They could always have David either suddenly move back to Sesame Street or at least just come back to visit all his old friends every once in a while with a replacement actor.

If they had written his death into the script then of course it would make no sense at all to replace him.
  7. Aleal

Aleal New Member

Olivia never visited. Linda never visits. I understand nostalgia, but seriously, we're talking about something from decades ago, and "Sesame Street" is hardly the first series to write out a character or even drop one without explanation, and that's the end of it.
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

He passed on a year later so let's leave it at that. How long are we going to drag this on?
  9. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah, that's what I hear about Hal Miller too. I guess the writers felt that some actors just weren't cutting it.

Yeah. You'd think they would have at least mentioned Linda when Bob's neice Samara was introduced. I mean the characters in that ep knew her, so they should have understood more about deaf people. I mean sure Linda was seen in an insert in that ep, but there was nothing where she interacted with the characters or even any indication that she still lived on the street.
  10. BooberFraggless

Your'e right Ken. If Linda is still being seen in inserts she's still on the show, in some form anyways. So therefore they should have made a reference to her. In 1980 when CPO and R2D2 made their visit. Big Bird made a refference to Sam the Robot. He said "you 2 are machines just like my friend Sam the Robot" Now at the time, Sam hadn't been on the show in 4 years. And that's just a little more time that it's been since Linda's been on the show. So they could have easily made a refference to Linda.
  11. Daffyfan2003

Yeah. I was a little surprised when I heard the mention of Sam in that because I didn't think he was on the show at the time. If they could mention long-lost characters around that time, why won't they do it now?
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

That's true, but if was probably agreed and decided that his character should move away. It's probably little bit harder to explain the absence of a husband, wife, son or daughter, thought.

I'm just glad that at least there was an explanation of what happen to him, thought, unlike some others on the show.
  13. BooberFraggless

Yeah, I never stopped to think about the fact that Gordon had a Wife on the show, which is why he pretty much had to be replaced. Same with Miles and Gabi being replaced and not just written out of the show. The only significant charachter who I can really think of who dissapeared with No explination is Forgetful Jones, I mean he was there as a regulra from 1980-1991
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You know, they kind of did that to most of Richard Hunt's characters.
  15. Daffyfan2003

Well, Gladys came back recently, so I could see a few other of Hunt's characters making a comeback if they can get some new puppeteers.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Let's hope for the best.
  17. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Oh I agree!:excited:
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

This is an old thread and all, but since someone brought it back, I might as well add to it, since I never saw it before....

I agree with all of that.

I would hate for them to acknowledge the death of a character on the show after they were written off due to an illness. Again, he could have gotten better, he could have gotten worse.... turns out that he died. There's no right way to bring that up in the context of the show. All I could think of is Maria saying, "Oh, remember how David left a while ago? He's dead now." Death shouldn't be ignored, but there's just something depressing about saying that someone left then he died. And I'm sure there's a context the kid's could pick up... if someone leaves, you NEVER see them again.

Had he died while he was still on the show, that would have been an opportunity. I'm sure it would have been handled similar to Mr. Hooper. But after someone leaves? That would be very tricky. They probably would have had some luck trying to explain the death of the actress that played Olivia (as she was Gordon's relative)... but with someone who's just a friend who left a while ago, how do you explain that? Actually, how the heck do you explain people who just left the show and never were mentioned again for that matter?
  19. Sesamo2012

Sesamo2012 New Member

in some ways i thought that Davids death was a loss to sesame street cause it seemed that after he had been on the show he seemed healthy and fine, but the people that knew him said that he was also going through some hard times and put on some pounds and theirfore he started to get sick, i could be wrong but i wish he were still alive today, cause he was a good man to the show and role model for people that liked to act and sing.
  20. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Well can't fight with that and David died in the same year as Jim Henson.