If you could change 3 things about Sesame Street today

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
-more classic footage
-eliminate Elmo's World, but leave Elmo the way he was in the early-mid '90s
-Bring back Monsterpiece Theater and Teeny Little Superguy!

~Dana~

Crazy31088

Reaction score
1. Keep the new format, but stretch it a little bit in order to allow some classic clips to be shown.
2. I like the idea of making Elmo's World its own spin-off, too.
3. Make the stories revolve around the humans again.

Unfortunately, it appears that I have nothing new to add...

BEAR

Reaction score
One thing I've just thought about that needs to change is the acting style of some of the humans. What happened in the last couple years? It's mainly Maria that I am having a hard time with. She is so over the top and melodramatic these days. She used to be a lot more natural when she was younger. She needs to tone it down.

splitenz

Reaction score
Now THIS is a thread I can really get into!

1) Target the show at older kids, like they used to. I am tired of the dumbed down Sesame. They sould make it smarter again, reaching out to 5 or 6 year-olds instead of 2 and 3 year olds. Since I got copies of some of the early (1969-1977) episodes, my three year-old daughter is excited about phonics and trying to sound out words. They did a really good job with this back in the 1970s.
2) Lose Journey to Ernie, Elmo's World (or at least shorten it) or make these segments less frequent. This would, like so many here have already said, free up time to include more educational skits and films.
3) Give the Street its edge back. It is so maintstream and bland these days - I miss feeling like I really am visiting an inner city neighborhood. They need to get that color (read: variety and diversity) back into the show.

I have to say, I also agree about the dreadful overacting. I shudder to think that, if David were still alive, he would have to act so badly like some of the others now do. Come to think of it, my top change would be to bring David back, if that were possible. I always loved him best, and now my daughter does too.

Kristi

BEAR

Reaction score
splitenz said:
I have to say, I also agree about the dreadful overacting. I shudder to think that, if David were still alive, he would have to act so badly like some of the others now do. Come to think of it, my top change would be to bring David back, if that were possible. I always loved him best, and now my daughter does too.

Kristi

I liked David too, but unfortunately he could not be brought back because Northern Calloway is no longer living.:frown:

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
1.Bring back the Fix-it-shop.
2.More regular Ernie & Bert segments.
3.Shorten Elmo's World by at least 5 min.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Give it a brand new new version of the theme song, and it seems no matter how many times it is changed, not to many people on this board will like it, because anything new seems to equal bad, and I really don't think bring back a bunch of old stuff is really changing anything about the show.

That being said, I think Sesame Street should move on to new and innovative thing instead of focusing on it's past and move and look forward to having a great future. They shouldn't just forget about their past, but I really believe that change is the reason this show has been on the air as long as it has, and I don't believe this show could survive on focusing on old thing alone.

And as far as the acting goes in my opinion, I can't take it too seriously, its a kids show, and it's fun to watch. And I'd give it a brand new ending too

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Give it a brand new new version of the theme song, and it seems no matter how many times it is changed, not to many people on this board will like it, because anything new seems to equal bad, and I really don't think bring back a bunch of old stuff is really changing anything about the show.

That being said, I think Sesame Street should move on to new and innovative thing instead of focusing on it's past and move and look forward to having a great future. They shouldn't just forget about their past, but I really believe that change is the reason this show has been on the air as long as it has, and I don't believe this show could survive on focusing on old thing alone.

I can't agree more. While not forgetting the past, it is just as important for them to move on into the future. Change is tough but can also be good. I agree that it has been part of the success of the show.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well thank you for those kind words Bear. I find it amazing that a children's show can spark up so much emotion and mean so many things to so many people and I mean that in a good way. This show is obviously so much more to us all in this community then what it is perceived to be. It's tradition, it's a part of our lives. It's like if it were to leave us, then a part of of would be missing, there would emptiness it a part of us all.

And it kind of strange when complete strangers (the wonderful cast past and present and all the muppeteers over the years) have meant so much to your life from numerous reasons, it;s like every time you tune in, there's this warm voice inviting you in, like you belong, it feels like your home away from home, it's like someone you can trust your children to, and a place where you know your safe. Even from the TV set you can say you can hang with so and so , there nice people. I mean how would it seem if a complete and total stranger came up to you and says " you have meant so much to me in my life, thank you". that just amazes me.

And there is just something so human about these people. you know there not perfect and you realized they make mistakes just like any body else, but this element make them just that more relateable. I know I'm way off topic everyone, so carry on as you were.