If you support Disney owning the Muppets...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with ya, Dr. Tooth. Warners has definitely done their fans wrong as well. Great they're putting out the Looney Tunes Golden Collections and all that but what have gotten in recent years as far as great new Looney Tunes projects? Two horrible Scooby-Doo live action films with a CGI Scooby, "Space Jam" and that other Looney Tunes animation/live action film that the title escapes me at the moment..., just more low quality stuff, again dumbing down the characters we know and love growing up. I know the times are different, and they have to make the characters appeal to the younger generations and so forth. But dumbing them down is not the answer. Were we as kids "smarter" watching this stuff when we were younger? We were still children and look how much we love these characters to this day.

Actually, i will say Back in action was a wonderful film, even though Jenna Elfman ruined it for me. 2 reasons why....

1) The script actually was though out, and they had pretty brilliant gags in it (The scene where Porky pig and Speedy Gonzales lament about being seen as politically incorrect).

2) as a fan of old school wild and crazy guy Steve Martin, I thought his psycho performance was wonderful. I almost expected him to pull out a banjo and an Arrow through his head headband.

But other than that I agree. The Scooby Films were campy, but the Scooby show is pretty campy too. But I think while at least those 2 LT films had the spirit of the old cartoons in some aspect, Loonatics Unleashed (which is thankfully history) just killed it.

Now look at Duck Dodgers, an underrated Cartoon Network show. it showed you can hip up the Looney tunes for a contemporary audience without dumbing it down to an imaginary audience. We're talking fast paced Family Guy and Simpsons style Humor that actually worked with the Looney characters. They even had a few very provacative jokes in them.

And even with Taz Mania and Sylvester and Tweety mysteries. A tad formulaic on that last one, but I felt those shows worked extremely well, giving new life to the characters without taking away what made them special.

And then came Baby looney Tunes. As a product line I didn't hate them. but the cartoon was nothing more than an inferior Muppet Babies clone to the point Granny was given the Nanny role (and my love with June Foray's voice work couldn't save the show). Loonatics, also terrible. And here's the worst part. For a while it actually got GOOD RATINGS!

Now, i'm not a 100% Disney fan, but i love Donald, Goofy, Scrooge, Ludwig VonDrake, and all that. And other than that dumbed down Mickey's Clubhouse, they really didn't do anything horrible with the characters. They made them CGI, which was ugly looking, but that's it.

They did try to "Hello Kitty-ize" things, but that's another story. Plus it was only for products and not a TV show.