Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journals book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I got this book for Christmas. After I got it I searched the forum to see if there was a thread for this book, and couldn't find one. I recently thought about starting it myself, but then procrastination got in the way. :smile:

This is a great book, though I can't tell if it has any information that's not on the Red Book site. Most of the info looks very similar to what's in the related Red Book articles, though I haven't gotten around to comparing them (I read the website every day). One thing to point out is that the book doesn't list any entries on dates where Jim did things for Follow That Bird, and the Red Book site currently doesn't, either (I would think he would have at least noted days when he was on the set). There's a number of pictures I don't recall seeing on the Red Book before, and before I got this book I don't recall knowing about there being plans to give Snuffy a younger brother in season 10.

I like the section at the end regarding the last two years of Jim's life. I assume that he stopped writing in the book because he had run out of room (but then why not start another book...?), but it seems many of the Henson productions that came out in 1989 (and even 1990) had started production early enough to be noted.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I love this book. Some great rare pics.

Chris

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's interesting how one of the first pages has an image of Sam on the Footlight Theater set, but it appears to be a picture taken of the TV while Footlight Theater was showing (or maybe a picture of a TV monitor from rehearsals).

The section on The Jim Henson Hour seems to barely have any focus on the MuppeTelevision segments. It is mentioned briefly, and there is a design sketch of Clifford, but otherwise the section is on the specials and other aspects of the show. A shame there were no pictures of design sketches of Digit or Leon. The book does have pictures of Bean Bunny and Waldo elsewhere. Of course, there's a section on Waldo, showing multiple design sketches with different designs, but does not indicate which one was the final design (I wonder if casual fans would notice Waldo appearing in a group pic for Muppet Vision 3D).