In The Beginning!

HandySam

Reaction score
Obviously Im new here. Ive recently begun building a puppet team at my church. Ive been looking to build my own puppets and my imagination is on hyperdrive. So where do i start? ive been reading the forums and ive read lots about the foam book and ALP videos. is this the place for me to begin? Im a very fast learner and extremly motivated to get it right but i wonder if this is where to start of if this is just good material to have for reference. also i know i need to go to some workshops but none that i know of teach u how to make high end puppets (for lack of a proper name for them). i may have found my calling here but i have too many voices in my head (puppeteers) to know which way to go. i find myself at work always sketching puppet ideas on paper. so now what do i do? :confused:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
First thing is first, build a puppet! Any puppet!

The Foam Book and the videos (by Grey Seal and ALP) are good places to start...I'd suggest perhaps ordering the Foam Book first, then the video if you decide you like it.

Honestly, you don't necessarily need the book to get started. I have an ongoing puppet building tutorial online here and there are links to others posted in various threads if you search the forum.

You could also try just ordering a pattern. Again, links to these can be found by searching the forum...I don't have the info on hand, or otherwise I'd post it to save you time. Sorry!!

HandySam

Reaction score
Thanks Buck! I really appreciate the reply and encouragment. I'm kinda needing it at the moment. I had figured I'd just have to settle for cheap OWS puppets out of frustration for the lack of funds available to me but I just can't bring myself to it. I want.... I WILL learn this! And yes I'm gonna build one ASAP. Thanks for the direction with the reference materials too.