Inauguration 2009

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Business, politics and religion have always been intertwined. I wish each could stay out of the other but it's like getting a couple of tiny rat hairs out of a vat of peanut butter!

Out of the assortment of Bushs, Clintons and even John McCain - Obama is the least tied to big business and religious zealots. That's not to say he hasn't had some issues, yet he has chosen to step away from them and even speak out. However, a politician is a politician no matter what affiliation (even non-affiliation).

This week is the time to celebrate America's first black President, a new player on the field that treats dissenting voices better than the last guy and peeves fewer leaders worldwide. This is a brief time of inspiration.

Nobody can live up to such hype. That's the hangover we'll wake up with later. I just hope it will be minor.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This week is the time to celebrate America's first black President, a new player on the field that treats dissenting voices better than the last guy and peeves fewer leaders worldwide. This is a brief time of inspiration.
Honestly, I don't want to stop people who are happy about the election from being happy. :smile: I'm just glad we live in country where you don't have to be. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Business, politics and religion
And tow and a half out of three I choose not to discuss with other people. :stick_out_tongue:

All I'm saying is, it's wrong to judge him negatively when he hasn't committed any crimes. But at the same time, it's also wrong to assume he'll be good before he's really done anything. :smile:
I see what you're saying. I mean so far and so soon you really shouldn't be looking at the good or the bad and we should also wait to look at the bigger picture.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just don't want to get too attached to any leader I guess, lol. I mean, in the end there's more regular people in this country who make the daily things happen, then there are the wealthy people. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I just don't want to get too attached to any leader I guess, lol. I mean, in the end there's more regular people in this country who make the daily things happen, then there are the wealthy people. :wink:
Personally, I think it takes both and not one or the other to make things happen. I really think it takes both. And I just don't go by some kind of myth that being rich = not caring or coruption. There are plenty "rulgular people who can be just as selfish or be not so good people.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Personally, I think it takes both and not one or the other to make things happen. I really think it takes both. And I just don't go by some kind of myth that being rich = not caring or coruption. There are plenty "rulgular people who can be just as selfish or be not so good people.
Oh yeah, you can't get into pattern of rich = bad and poor = good. But then again, I think it's our duty to protect the less fortunate and make sure everyone gets their equal share. And let's face it, we don't have that in this country.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
But at the same time, it's also wrong to assume he'll be good before he's really done anything. :smile:
I agree. Even though it's a change from the regular rift raft of middle aged to old white boys we've had since Goerge Washington, no one knows how this guy is going to do. He maybe all hype and comes out like a dud, or he might actually make change.

But he has made too many promises in my fair opinion, whatever it's worth.

And to not add more negativity, if Obama and congress do not get the economy back up and running within the next year or so and if the unemployment rises to around 10% if not more, all the people who cried when they saw him become president, who said change is coming, who said Obama can inspire anyone will be pointing their fingers and showing their ugly side at Obama and say "you promised us change and nothing has been done yet".

You can have friends one day and those friends can be your worst nightmare the next day. And we all saw the ugly side of people with now former president George W. Bush.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean people are very eager to tear you down once they built you up. While I think Bush deserved most of the criticism he got, the level it got to was quite amazing!

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I saw some of this on TV this morning, and some of my friends waited up til 3am to watch the inauguration.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've given every US President the benefit of the doubt when each one stepped into office even when I didn't support their candidacy. You never know what any of them are about until they actually do something as President.

I was supportive of the last Bush for over half of his first term until I felt he no longer served as the best representative for the majority of Americans. He ran on being the guy most voters would like to “share a beer with” and eventually became aloof and out of touch. Political agenda aside he lost his connection. Much of that can be said of Bill Clinton toward the end of his term. Aside from the validity of the charges, voters began to see him as an angry and evasive person in his deposition. Voters like candid candidates and we as a country are uniquely willing to forgive leaders for almost anything if they ask for it. Bush senior was out of touch with voters that wanted him to reach out with a new message of change. He didn't see how unhappy people were at the time and Clinton's message of change became appealing.

Ultimately each President fails the American people. It’s a tough job and I wouldn’t want it. I just wonder how tightly President Obama will hold true to his words of hope, what he will actually accomplish and how he will do so. I want to see what happens. There are so many people on the streets here wearing shirts and donning pins but I’m not. Nor am I expecting to be disappointed. I am eagerly waiting.