Incompatable dvd

Ziffel

Reaction score
About a week ago I started to watch shows on dvd from "The Jeffersons" complete 3rd season. It comes in 3 discs and the strange thing is one disc works but the other two kept saying, "Incompatable disc. The disc is incompatable with the player." First time that ever happened to me. I emailed amazon.com (where I purchased it from) and they were nice enough to send me another one very fast, free of charge. They just wanted me to send the old one back. Well, I got the new one today and the it's the same thing - the same disc works and the same other two get that same message!
So obviously it's not the discs being defective and it's not my dvd player breaking down (all other dvds work fine on it still). But it's very odd that one out of three discs in each "Jeffersons- season 3" works. And I purcahsed my dvd player in late 2003 (the sticker on the back says September 2003). So I wouldn't think I have an outdated player already for the new and upcoming dvd releases.
So I thought I'd ask if anyone here has ever experienced something like this. A few people I asked at work last week said they never had that "incompatable disc" message come up when they inserted a dvd. Hopefully this won't happen when I get the 3rd season of "Green Acres"!

That Announcer

Reaction score
(trumpets)

Hear ye, hear ye! King Anathema will soon arive!

I've never had a problem like this, but I've many times experienced problems with DVDs. Tell you what I'll do- I'll fire off a call to my local AV store, and see what they think the problem may be. From previous experiences, it's almost certainly due to some issue at the factory. If you have a second player (or a computer drive, for that matter) try it out there. If necessary, wait for a second pressing of the discs. (Why did I use that term? That's a vinyl word!) But seriously, when Alex comes along, he'll probably know something about the situation.

Hope this helps,
-TA

EDIT: Question- what brand and model player do you have, Zif?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Brand is RCA. The number on the back says DRC 105 NA. And it says Class 1 laser product. Don't have a second dvd player. ( I could try it on my brother's dvd player one of these weekends and if it works just have a "Jeffersons" marathon over there! )

Thanks very much, TA.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hey I tried them in the computer drive and got to see "The Jeffersons"! :smile:
I didn't realize that dvds would play on my comp; thought I had to have something to enable it. Pretty neat! I was also at my bro's house today and they work on his dvd player. He has a Sony and Sony is who puts out "The Jeffersons" dvds. Guess it looks like I'll have to eventually get a new dvd player that's 100% compatible. But nice to know in the meantime I can watch the incompatible ones on my pc (albeit with no pause and playback of the last previous 6 seconds features, as well as not being able to sit in my favorite easy chair [unless I lug it down the steps every time. I think not])!
Thanks for that suggestion That Announcer.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
(albeit with no pause and playback of the last previous 6 seconds features,
Actually, those and the other dvd features CAN be utilized on the computer!
I just played another "Jeffersons" episode and didn't have the picture maximized on the screen this time. Underneath is an image of a dvd player and you can use pause, stop, fastforward, play again, etc. just like an actual dvd. Fascinating. Ever learning....!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Well here we are almost a year later and I just encountered my second experience with incompatible dvds. This time it was with my recently purchased "I Love Lucy" season 6 dvds. All 4 dvds give the "Incompatable disc. The disc is incompatable with the player" message. This is the only time it's happened since last year's experience with "The Jeffersons - 3rd season". Interestingly, "The Jeffersons - 4th season" worked fine.
So I'll be able to at least view the Lucy dvds on my computer. But it's nicer to watch dvds in my living room where I can lay out on the couch and watch a big screen.
Anyone else ever encountered that "incompatible" message with dvds?

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I got the message with the British DVDs I bought, but that's a given. Worked fine in my computer though when I changed the region code. But I doubt that's what your problem is. Were your DVDs from a different country?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Anyone else ever encountered that "incompatible" message with dvds?
No, cant say I have, although occasionally my Shrek DVD gives me problems loading

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Never had this problem with boughten DVDs before. I have had it with some burnt DVDs though. Turns out my DVD player didn't accept DVD+Rs, just -Rs. The DVD+Rs played great in friend's DVD players. Your DVD player manual should explain what format is acceptable. Hope this helps.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Good idea about checking the manual. After looking through it I see it really didn't address incompatible dvds (other than if the region code is different). The manual just mentions a few other things that can be incompatible like CD-ROMs and JPEG files that are too large. The box of the "I Love Lucy" dvds that won't play says, "Certain advanced features may not play on all machines." But this statement has appeared on other dvd sets that do work. This particular edition of "I Love Lucy" has a tremendous amount of bonus special features, so I'm wondering if that could be why my player can't handle the discs. However, the other dvds that were incompatible ("The Jeffersons - season 3") had no extras. And seasons 1,2, and 4 of "The Jeffersons" all worked fine. So kind of odd.
MeepBorkMeep said:
I got the message with the British DVDs I bought, but that's a given. Worked fine in my computer though when I changed the region code. But I doubt that's what your problem is. Were your DVDs from a different country?
No, they are region 1's (USA).