1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Increase in Commercial Television Puppetry

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by D'Snowth, Jul 7, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm sure they do that on purpose to emphasize the imperfections of puppetry... think back to when Tyler Bunch did that Barnone dog, you could see like half his entire arm in those commercials. It's kind of like Danny Antonucci's approach to Ed, Edd n Eddy by emphasizing imperfections of cartoons from the golden age of animation.

And not all commercials that use puppetry do this; back in the early 2000s, there was an Eggo commercial with a dude whose roommate was a lizard puppet: while the puppet itself was kind of crudely made (sloppy, visible seams, the fabric that covered him was plaid, his eyes were crooked), the illusion of the puppet itself was done really well: there were no rods, no strings, plenty of full-bodied shots, so there was probably a lot of chromakey used. Plus, it was funny...

LIZARD: Hey, Hal... are those Eggo waffles?
    HAL: (Scoots plate away) Yeah, they are...
    LIZARD: Aren't we forgetting something?
    (The lizard reaches for the waffles, but Hal moves them away further)
    LIZARD: It's always nice to share!
    (The lizard reaches around, but Hal grabs his hands, and literally ties his wrists together; then ties his shoe laces together, and flops his legs over his head)
    LIZARD: You got some serious issues, pal!

2. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting point. I don't know many inperfections in Ed Edd N Eddy unless you mean their trademark wiggly outlines. lol I Love Ed Edd N Eddy, I remember Danny was going back to his Indie short film roots but I haven't heard anything since plus I heard that A.K.A. Cartoon Inc closed down. I miss the Eds, that was one of my all time very shows. I think my favorite moment is when Ed is standing upside down and his unibrow drags him across like a worm. lol Animation can do anything, the most beautiful thing about it and puppetry can do practically anything as well. It all comes to the limit of imagination. :)

The lizard commercial sounds familiar. I remember the Barnone Dog used to be the Pets.com Dog but the company got bankrupt. That's cool that's Tyler later on, because I remember the Pets.com commercials not being so professionally performed.

3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

4. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

5. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

There's a new advertising campaign from Burger King featuring a whatnot-esque blue puppet character in a suit. You don't see him in action much in this ad, but there's another ad where he has a line or two spoken.

6. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Here's another ad starring that blue "Whatnot guy"

Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I want to not hate that commercial, but all I see are a bunch of overpaid ad execs saying "stuff happens" and collecting an undeserved paycheck for pulling it out of their puppet holes.

I almost actually miss the King.

8. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Advertising has come a long way since the Wilkins & Wontkins coffee commercials....

9. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that eventually commercial puppetry will drift away from knock-off Muppets. Obviously, not knocking THE Muppets, The Jim Henson Company, or Sesame Workshop, but that style of puppetry is very unique to Jim Henson. People should do their own thing rather than recreate Henson's work.

10. D'Snowth

Now we have this:

DannyRWW likes this.
  11. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

That is horrifying O_O

12. D'Snowth

Lately, I've been thinking with so many commercials utilizing puppets these days, maybe I do look into doing commercials... after all, commercials worked well for Jim in his early days: Wilkins and Wantkins, the LaChoy Dragon, etc.

13. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It needed more Puppet Chang. Would have been a better episode with it.

And if they had a Puppet Troy and Abed in the Morning instead of that lame blooper reel.

I absolutely loved Puppet Abed. Looked like some freaky love child of Guy Smiley and Beaker. Troy looked like Cousin Skeeter. Think they used the same shape of nose.

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

I just saw a commercial, it was either a bank commercial or an insurance commercial that featured a guy and his puppet doppelganger, I'm trying to find it on YouTube.

I wonder if JHC was involved with this one, because the puppet looked very much like a Muppet (and his voice sounded familiar as well, but I couldn't place it).

It was clearly a combination of traditional puppetry and CGI, because the arm rods were clearly visible throughout, but the puppet's eyebrows were obviously digitally manipulated.

17. D'Snowth

I found the commercial I was talking about... and apparently, the puppet appears in others as well:

They're funny, but I'm still not a fan of always relying on chromakey for full-bodied effects.

18. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I saw this truly amazing Lexus commercial on TV yesterday.

19. ToonGeek

ToonGeek Active Member

Sonic (The fast food company, not the Hedgehog) recently had a commercial featuring muppet-like puppets, and I just saw it a few minutes ago, but can't find it anywhere at the moment, but when I find it I'll post it as soon as I can.

20. D'Snowth

I check Sonic's channel on YouTube, they don't seem to have anything with puppets in it at the moment.