Intern at Sesame Street

rowlf84

Reaction score
I know many of you around here have dreams of working on Sesame Street or in television in general. Have you ever thought about interning at Sesame Workshop? This is a fantastic way to learn about children's television while getting a foot (slightly) in the door at a fantastic organization.

I recently had the wonderful experience of interning with Sesame Street Production. I got an inside view of all of the workings that go into making a legendary children's television show. I got to work with all of the producers, writers, and performers as well as being on set during filming. However, even if television production isn't your thing there are many other opportunities at Sesame Workshop. International, Home Video, Marketing, Graphics, Accounting...the list goes on and on. SW is a large company!

However, there are a few stipulations: you must be a student, preferably in college, but sometimes they accept high school students. Usually you have to be able to give at least two or three days of the week. Of course you have to be in New York to participate, but you can attend school anywhere. You have to take care of your own living arrangements (I moved there and lived in an apartment in Manhattan).

If you are interested, SW lists their internship openings on www.internshipprograms.com or you can submit a resume to human.resources@sesameworkshop.org. Please don't spam. You read what I said so be professional.

Also, this internship is not for people who want to be Muppeteers. If you're interested in working with the Sesame Muppets, contact the Henson Company about their internships. They are truly wonderful people there and it would also be a spectacular experience.

People applying for this internship should be very professional. Don't apply just to be a "rabid fan."

If you have any questions about interning with Sesame Workshop, feel free to post. If you have any questions about the workings of Sesame Street, I can try to answer them as best as possible, however some things I can't answer due to the "secrecy of the set" (like questions about this upcoming season). Good luck, potential interns!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That sound's like that would be a great learning experience.

rowlf84

Reaction score
Muppet Matt said:
You are so lucky! Was Frank there?
Yes, Frank Oz was there for a couple days of production. Very neat to see him in "real life." Thanks for the kudos guys. It was a very neat experience.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear of your experience! Thanks for sharing.

How long does an internship position last?

rowlf84

Reaction score
Typically about a semester, although it's flexible.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully glad you were able to spend that amount of time learning about Sesame Street. Was wondering...
What if your interests are more along the lines of researching through all of Sesame's seasons, and you've already gotten as high a degree from college as you can get? Would they be receptive to such a thing like that?

rowlf84

Reaction score
Well, like I said, to be an intern you have to be a student. They also hire people on a temporary basis, although that's usually dependent on what projects they have going on at the time. As for researching the history of the show, frankly I never heard of anyone serving that purpose at the company. I'm not sure what your degree is in, but it never hurts to submit your resume and see what response you get.

sesamekid57

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to apply for an internship at sesame workshop this summer. Do they have internships in production (stage management, camera work, taping of shows, etc?)
Thanks