International Englishes

Whatever

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
What meanest though?

Boyfriend in english means, er, the guy that you are dating. Fellow would I suppose mean, a honerable chap who's a friend of yours. However, Fellow is seriously outdated and rarely used (at least, in my part of the world anyway!)
My friend Laura and I were shopping for an Arsenal shirt and when I said to the shopkeeper it was for her boyfriend, he said (to her) "Oh, it's for your fellow?"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ahhh! I see. Pronounced Fella. I was thinkign Fellow, which is outdated. Sorry. Excuse me.

Anyhow, that is not nec. common english practice. Generally called Boyfriend. Only occasionally fella, or "Chap" or "Your man"

*leaves therad in a hurry*

Chow!

Whatever

Reaction score
Uh-oh, I scared off Beau! I must've turned green or something. :concern:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hey hey hey, I thought this ol' thread needed to be bumped because I have a question for all the Brits:
What do youse' guys think of this rapper Lady Soverign? Being from the east coast here in the States, I grew up heavily imersed in rap and hip hop, even though I was never super into it. At any rate, this new single of hers "Love Me Or Hate Me" seems to be catchin' on here, and while I dig the beat and all, this girl is goofy. Maybe that's her appeal, but I don't know if it negates her street cred here in the States, not that I believe she had any to begin with. I'm sure the east and west side rappers think she's a joke, but I was really curious if she's a legit example of British rappers, and regardless; how you feel about her?

EDIT: After breezing through this thread again, I have to say that you Brits speak English whereas we speak American, in other words, to quote Bruce Willis, "I speak two languages, English and bad English!" Only here in America, I'd say we mostly speak bad English, lol!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I've heard of her, but not really heard her...I never actually liked rap at all, but she does have an interesting style and she does sound British as well as rappish, kinda cool.