International Englishes

Beauregard

Reaction score
Perhaps we'd call it a soft doughy pastry like a roll?

Don't forget the classic difference. Pants = underwear in england, while in america, Pants - trousers

Going back a bit, I looove the Australain accent, i could hear it all day.

Going back a bit further, I never say Aces instead of cool. And I've never heard it said in England.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Really? In another forum where I (used to) post and was heavily inhabited by Brits, when I submited art they really liked; they'd say: "Oh, that's aces" or "Your aces", so I assumed it meant "cool", but now I'm nervous and wondering if it means something like "rotting beef carcass".

I was also told that the word "bloody" is the equivelant in the UK as the American "F" word. Is that true? And "******" is also a really bad word there. Here; it's just one of those kooky words the Brits use! :wink:

Here in the states; the FCC strictly regulates "bad language" that appears on television and radio, yet everyone in the streets cuss and swear anyway, which is their right to do, but something I always thought was weird. In other words; why is it our first amendment right to say whatever we want and in fact do so, only to be regulated so heavily? Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate swearing; I try and avoid it as best I can. I used to work construction and that was really the only way to communicate with anyone, but now I see it as offensive and a little low brow to others, which is why I do my best to keep a clean mouth. Albeit I slip every so often and repent soon there after.

EDIT - Woah! I just saw the word I was asking about was censored! I guess it is a bad word! Um, all I can say then is that it rhymes with "tanker".

Whatever

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Perhaps we'd call it a soft doughy pastry like a roll?
That takes a long time to say out loud, though!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Do you mean tea biscuits? **is confused** My gran makes tea biscuits, which are pretty much scones. But she also calls arrowroot biscuits 'tea biscuits' once in a while, so I'm kind of confused.

The other day I called someone a cow, and my mother enlighetened me to the fact that it is supposedly a very british thing to say. Which I never knew.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hahah! Well, yes, a cow is kind'a british, lol. Becuase when a brit is struggling to be Exceptionly polite and British, yet wanting to insult they say, "You little...er...Cow!"

As for bloody, yes. Not quite as bad as the F word, but certainly stronger than darn, or blooming (which shounds kinda british). However some british words are not allowed on this forum...I tried to type the british word for meat-balls which begins with F, has an AG, and ends in ET. but it was not allowed. Also, a word we regularly use for a cat, Pu(double s)y the filter won't let me use. *****. See?

As for the Aces, thing. Ace, yes. Aces never. "That's Ace." Would be sociably acceptable. However, "That's Aces," I myself have never heard.

Also, hardly anyone uses Ace anyway. However, my MSN screen name is usually, "King of Aces." :big_grin: Lil bit of trivia there...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
RedDragon said:
IT'S SO TURE!!!!!!!!! I love the Aussie accent. But I love the Irish accent more.
I believe both men and women love accents in people. Makes those people seem better than the local people, atleast in my opinion.

ryan

luvtosr

Reaction score
Whew! I've been away some (broken pc).

OK. Biscuits in Britain refers to any sweet biscuit, I believe Americans would term them cookies. Savoury biscuits - like the ones that go with cheese are crackers.

From what I can gather the scone-like foodstuff Americans eat with gravy and call biscuit we would call cobbler.

As for your MAC or ATM machines I call them cash points.

Whatever

Reaction score
Oy! For Americans, cobbler is a sweet pastry that tops a sweetened, cooked fruit to make a dessert, aka pudding. We have apple cobbler and peach cobbler mostly. This language gets more confusing the more I learn.

Today I learned that in Britain, a "bap" is a roll used to make a sandwich.

Whatever

Reaction score
An American "boyfriend" is apparently a British "fellow."

Beauregard

Reaction score
Whatever said:
An American "boyfriend" is apparently a British "fellow."
What meanest though?

Boyfriend in english means, er, the guy that you are dating. Fellow would I suppose mean, a honerable chap who's a friend of yours. However, Fellow is seriously outdated and rarely used (at least, in my part of the world anyway!)