Is Fraggle Rock Animated worth buying?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Having watched a few episodes on Netflix the show's very much a mixed bag. It has a somewhat interesting art style for the time and you can tell that the storyboard artists were trying but... man the voice acting is BAD.
Honestly, the only voice actor I think completely failed was whoever played Junior Gorg. He didn't even try... but then again, I have yet to see someone with the timber and depth of Richard Hunt. But Rob Paulsen? He completely owns the series. he is one of the finest voice actors of his generation 80's- today.... and even though he isn't perfectly like Dave Golez or Jerry nelson, he made those characters his own. plus Red is very close.

At least the voice acting is acting. I've heard terribly wooden stuff over the years.

beaker

Reaction score
DEFINITELY worth the $15! There's even new interviews/featurettes.

Growing up poor in the 80's, I didn't have access to cable or HBO, so aside from the occasional Fraggle HBO episode at a friend's house; the animated series in 1988 is what really got me into them.

Before that all I had was the Fraggle Rock books from the mid 80's, so I definitely love the late 80's series...and I still think it rocks. Then again Im a huge fan of late 80's animation, as well as anything Henson from this time period:smile:

beakerfan76

Reaction score
I'm definitely buying it when I see it. I'll let you know my thoughts once I do.

matleo

Reaction score
I found it the other day at Borders, but passed on it. I actually think The Animated Fraggle Rock is one of the worst things Jim Henson ever did and simply cannot stand it. The stories are done in a way so that you can cram as much as you can into 12 minutes (half of a 24 min show, obviously) and consequently everything from the story telling, the character development, the music, even the voice acting is sped up, cut down and/or truncated. But that's just my opinion. I'd see if you can find a bit and watch on youtube before investing the money in the entire series.

--Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trust me... it is NOT on youtube. I can seriously vouch for that. Even months... heck a year before the FR animated DVD came out.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Trust me... it is NOT on youtube. I can seriously vouch for that. Even months... heck a year before the FR animated DVD came out.
I saw a YouTube Poop using the animated Fraggle Rock, and the animation reminded me of Muppet Babies. Same goes for the voices.

Sure, the voice acting is not a good as the live action counterpart, but one has to give the animated version the benefit of the doubt. It did stay true to the original series.

Then again, I'm basing my judgement on that one clip. :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw a [censored] using the animated Fraggle Rock, and the animation reminded me of Muppet Babies. Same goes for the voices.

Sure, the voice acting is not a good as the live action counterpart, but one has to give the animated version the benefit of the doubt. It did stay true to the original series.

Cough cough cough cough cough! DON'T mention that please... cough cough cough! The person who made that might just want to KEEP their account cough cough cough! :mad: