Is Red Fraggle a feminist icon?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Great blog entry, thanks for sharing! :excited:

Actually I'd consider Mokey a pioneering female character on children's TV as well, though for different reasons. Female characters are too often portrayed as ten times smarter than the males, which as a woman I personally find boring and obnoxious, lol. A character has to be real to be likeable, that means they have to be allowed to fail sometimes, that's how you make them relatable and endearing.

The point of many Fraggle Rock episodes was to show the characters going the wrong way, completely misguided and foolish, and having to learn their lesson at the end. And most other kid's shows would have only had the male characters messing up, but on Fraggle Rock we got to see the female characters at low points as well.

I recall Kathy Mullen saying Mokey was sort Mr. Magooish, she had a kind of naive optimism that everything was going to be OK, even when there's clearly a monster coming down the tunnel, lol. We laugh at Mokey's character quirk, the same way we'd laugh at Boober's cleanliness or Wembley's wembling. And in fact Red was the same way with her cockiness. That is how you make successful female characters. :excited: :dreamy:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Interesting blog. I was about to add one point, but she covered it at the very end: boys and girls are equal in Fraggle Rock. Really, Fraggles are non-diamorphic, meaning that there's little physical difference between males and females. There's nothing that encourages them to think of gender as a defining or limiting factor, the way different body shapes do with us Silly Creatures. So, although Red could be seen as a feminist icon, she isn't a feminist herself. Why would she be? She'd never make the statement "girls can do anything that boys can" because that's just common sense.

One error on the article: Red does wear pink. The ribbons in her hair.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Interesting blog. I was about to add one point, but she covered it at the very end: boys and girls are equal in Fraggle Rock. Really, Fraggles are non-diamorphic, meaning that there's little physical difference between males and females. There's nothing that encourages them to think of gender as a defining or limiting factor, the way different body shapes do with us Silly Creatures. So, although Red could be seen as a feminist icon, she isn't a feminist herself. Why would she be? She'd never make the statement "girls can do anything that boys can" because that's just common sense.

I think that by that analysis, one could consider Fraggle Rock to be a very pro-feminist show; one that shows the kind of world that feminism has the goal of bringing us closer to.

And GopherCoffee, there is a movement called "masculism," but I wonder if that's really needed. I've argued (on the Internet, with predictably little progress) that feminist goals are good for men, too. Let me explain: in a world where people are seen as people, and not by the prescribed roles of their genders, men and women will BOTH benefit. As for the male equivalent of tomboys, I've heard "Janegirl," but mostly only in gender studies circles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great blog entry, thanks for sharing! :excited:

Actually I'd consider Mokey a pioneering female character on children's TV as well, though for different reasons. Female characters are too often portrayed as ten times smarter than the males, which as a woman I personally find boring and obnoxious, lol. A character has to be real to be likeable, that means they have to be allowed to fail sometimes, that's how you make them relatable and endearing.

The reason why Mokey and Red are great female characters is because they didn't try too hard. Male, female, and any variety of the two ONLY work as characters if they're organic, not forced, and have personalities. I've seen too many Mary Sues and bussed in P.C. characters that fall flat. And then the ones that come off way too strong and resemble Poochie.

Red is a bright ball of energy and that's both a weakness and a strength, Mokey's got her head in the clouds but isn't an idiot. They play well with all the characters, and none of them comes off as needy or perfect. Red's just too hard not to like.

There's a reason why I can't say I have a least favorite in the Fraggle Five. They're all great. It's rare to see a show with main characters that likable. There's always one character you either hate or at least like less than the others.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I am not exaggerating when I say whenever I watch an episode of Fraggle Rock, I leave with a slightly more peaceful and nourished frame of mind. You can literally get smarter watching this show, lol.