Is the Muppet Movie censored on DVD?

Rob Kilbride

Reaction score
I'm just cutting and pasting the same question I posted at Home Theater Forum. They're leaning towards the idea that the person who reported to IMDB probably is confused with a line from the soundtrack album which didn't appear in the movie. I figure if anyone could give me a definite answer they could be found here! Thanks in advance for any help.

From IMDB:

In the original theatrical version of the film, when he meets Kermit the first time, Rowlf the dog asks Kermit if he wants a drink, to which Kermit says, "I'll have a grasshopper." This small scene has been deleted from all subsequent versions. (Perhaps the filmmakers didn't want a children's movie to advocate an alcoholic beverage?)

I did a search at yahoo and although other sites have this info they all refer to either IMDB or a particular Amazon.com review. Does anyone have any personal recollection as to whether this line was in the original movie or any other sources that confirm or deny this?

P

Philo and Gunge

Well, from what I have seen, I believe it is in the Buena Vista release (I think) but Columbia edited the lines.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd have to consult my Brodcast off TV version to see if it's correct (I taped it YEARS ago... it's gotta be 16+ years old!)

I don't theink they really had a problem, since Rowlf then talks about how he takes himself for a walk and has a "couple-a beers" with no complaint or censorship!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Philo and Gunge said:
Well, from what I have seen, I believe it is in the Buena Vista release (I think) but Columbia edited the lines.
no, it's not on the Buena Vista release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if it was just in the soundtrack... I know a lot of differences in Muppet sound tracks and Movies...

I.E. In Movin' right along, Kermit says "That song is getting better, Fozzie" which wasn't in the movie.

And in MTI, the lines "We were sailing, SAILING over the bounding ,maine.... and now we're not" were cut from the film, but intact in the soundtrack.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
There's another thing I noticed in The Muppet Movie. When everyone is singing the finale of The magic Store/Rainbow Connection Reprise in the movie Kermit is the one who sings "I've noticed you're watching too" while Fozzie sings it on The Muppet Anniversary CD that just came out. Who is right?

jediX

Reaction score
Well, as far as I can reason, the version on the 'Music, Mayhem, & More' cd is different from the movie. Note how Jim sings in his normal voice at the end rather than Kermit, as well as cutting off very quickly on "lovers" and "dreamers." A different take than the final cut, probably. I can't recall the calliope/orchestra section being in the movie, either (the segment between 3:31 and 4:13).

Rob Kilbride

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It seems likely that this is merely a difference between the album and movie. Though it seems like a definitive answer may be hard to come by.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
What I've listed here are some extended scenes you won't find on the DVD. They're present in the 1988 UK release on Virgin Video, and might even have been seen in theaters at some point, I dunno.

1) Fozzie breaks his horn on stage at El Sleezo and laments, "This is not my night." :embarrassed:
2) The commercial for Doc Hopper's ends with "So like we say down here at Doc Hopper's, 'Hop on down to Hopper's! We HOP that you do!'"
3) Dr. Teeth reads a more in-depth version of the screenplay
4) Scene in the car (red text = removed dialogue)
DOC: He sings, he dances, he tells jokes! He even rides a bicycle! Max, that frog is worth a million!
MAX: How much is my share of a million?
DOC: Forget about the money! Find me a frog and a bear in a tan Studebaker.

[Then, after they lose the rainbow Studebaker ...]

MAX: Where are they? [Austin looks like he's about to crack up - no wonder they removed this part :crazy: ]
DOC: Turn around, Max! [Max turns around, taking his eyes and hands off the wheel] NOT YOU, TURN THE CAR AROUND!! [Max suddenly sees the road, and almost crashes the car into a tree. They swerve back and forth, then stop in the dirt] CAN'T YOU MAKE A SIMPLE U-TURN?!?
MAX: What's the matter, Doc? Don't you like the complicated kind?

5) "I Hope That Somethin' Better Comes Along" is longer (as heard on the soundtrack album)
6) extra shot of insta-grown Animal rising out of the building
7) "The Magic Store" is longer (as heard on the soundtrack album)
8) Audible dialogue over the end credits

There you have it. Why these bits aren't present in any US release (that I know of), I can't imagine.

jediX

Reaction score
Guille, do you have / have you checked the 1984 US CBS/Fox cassette version?