1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Is The New Fraggle Rock Movie Such a good Idea?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Muppet fan 123, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

As we all know if you been following the news lately, about a Fraggle rock movie on the horizion. The Jim Henson Company just gave the rights to New Regency to make the new Fraggle movie, my question is, is it really such a good idea??
    I would like to see a new Fraggle movie but I am kinda worried, we know the Muppets will be okay becuase with the crative minds at Disney, The muppets will be brought back to their formal glory, but New Regency, I am not so sure about.
    I'm kind of worried that they will want to make it the NEXT BIG THING, and it will not end up being good. Do you think it's a good idea

Muppet fan 123
  2. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

This should be in the Fraggle Rock forum. As for your question, I dunno - I want to see the return of these characters, but I don't want to see it headed by people who don't care about and love the characters.
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

At this point, it's too general a question.

Yes, a Fraggle Rock movie is a good idea.
    But we don't know what direction this specific movie has or what (if any) plans NR has for it, but given their previous film treatment of properties,there's much cause for concern. Until we know what script they're going with, what their vision is and how much creative control Henson has, we can't really yet answer this question.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It is indeed too soon to tell.

Yes, there is concern as they're the film company behind Marmaduke producing the film, but we won't know anything until someone brings out a script, an if Henson gets final approval on anything. The worst case scenario is Henson screws this up so badly, they make the movie themselves.

Still, NR is a midway... they still need another business partner to get into the project. But Henson still should have final say. I wish they could just get the script Corey did under Weinstine and go through with his version, keeping him as the director. But that's not going to happen.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm sorry, but I now have NO more respect for JHC whatsoever... I mean seriously, this is exactly why whenever I die, I want my work to die with me, I wouldn't trust it in the hands of anybody, no matter who theyare, friends or family, or whoever.
  6. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Yeah, but you'll be dead, so it shouldn't really matter to you, :);).

But as mentioned, it's too soon to tell whether or not this Fraggle Rock movie is a good idea...that's if it even happens actually.
  7. Drtooth

Jim Henson didn't give the rights to the movie. The rights were sold to them via a certain terrible company that should go bankrupt.

I have no respect for JHC because they're at a loss of doing anything anymore. Granted, said crappy film company was half the reason FR was never going to get made... but it took 10 years to not get any closer on production of Dark Crystal, and they have to start all over again for the hundredth time. I'm glad Dinosaur Train is a mild success, but that's basically all they have at the moment. Every business partner they had wound up screwing them. We won't know how to judge this one until we hear of a script.
  8. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

I think the Fraggle Eock movie is a great idea!
  9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

it was really funny to see this thread pop up again. I think this was my first thread ever.
    But my point was. A theatrical Fraggle movie. I don't know if it's such a good idea. Who's going to see it? (Beside us Muppet Fans) How many people off the street know what a Fraggle is?
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well it's one of those nostalgic '80s things a lot of people at least have heard of. Plus it's been shown on the Hub lately so that's help its exposure.
  11. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Lots of people who were born in the 70's and 80's grew up watching Fraggle Rock.
  12. DLGabriel

DLGabriel Active Member

I'd have tp throw my vote in the pool for a Fraggle Rock movie being a bad idea. Tis true, a small part of me would love to see the Fraggles return in today's world. And as I've said many times before, our messed up world could certainly use the lessons and wisdom that were scattered throughout the Fraggle Rock series. However, at the end of the debate is the simple fact that Fraggle Rock ended in a nearly perfect matter (IMO, the only thing imperfect about it was that it ended at all). There's simply no need to risk ruining the legacy of Fraggle Rock by putting out a movie that (let's face it) not many people will see or appreciate. What if the movie is terrible? It would tarnish the greatness of Fraggle Rock forever. And that's not even to mention how they could pull off a quality Fraggle Rock movie without all the original components that made the series so wonderful... Doc & Sprocket, The Gorgs, Doozers, all the original voice actors and puppet performers, the original writers... These things were the heart and soul of Fraggle Rock and not all of them would be willing or even availble to participate in a FR film for various reasons. Perhaps if it were twenty or even fifteen years ago, the possibilities of a Fraggle Rock movie might be more appealing. Nowadays, it just doesn't make sense to me (and apparently doesn't make that much sense to the powers that be as the film has been stalled in limbo for years). The high cost of puppet builds, the inability to bring together the key components to the franchise for a film, and the risk of damaging what was a wonderful (even if it was little known) reputation and legacy of Fraggle Rock. It just doesn't pay to resurrect the Fraggles in film for now. Not everything from the 70s and 80s needs or should have a reboot just because hollywood can't come up with any original ideas. Some things are better of just staying as they are and in my opinion, Fraggle Rock is one of them.

Now, some viral videos with Uncle Traveling Matt exploring our modern world might be a grand idea and make much, much more sense to everyone involved than a Fraggle Rock feature film would.
  13. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

After seeing the new Muppet movie, I realized it is possible to create a really good movie for something that hasn't been active for years (in the movie sense of it). If somebody with a great love and passion for Fraggle Rock were to have a great deal of control over it, I think it might be able to work. If they don't pull a Smurfs or an Alvin and the Chipmunks it could be OK.
  14. DLGabriel

DLGabriel Active Member

Indeed, The Muppets was great. But, one must realize that The Muppets had the might of Disney behind it. Disney has a lot more resources and funding that The Jim Hensons Company does, making it much easier for them to warrant the risk of a flop. Add to that the fact that The Muppets as a franchise is and was much, much, much more widely known and loved by the general public and it's easy to see that The Muppets movie had a much great chance for success than a Fraggle Rock movie would. As much as we all love Fraggle Rock (I assume that anyone reading or replying to this thread does), the fact of the matter is that Fraggle Rock was a relatively unknown show in it's day and hasn't had the presence in the media and pop culture that The Muppets had and have.
  15. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

^ You do have a point! I agree with you.
  16. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Its true. The Muppets have pop culture to move them along through the ages too. Fraggles have a definite niche. It's a shame, though. I preferred Fraggle Rock in the day.
    DLGabriel likes this.
  17. DLGabriel

DLGabriel Active Member

As do I. I adore the Muppets, but Fraggle Rock will always just edge them out a bit.
    PanthraDion and bandit like this.
  18. Borples

Borples Active Member

I feel like a Fraggle movie would stand one chance in a hundred of living up to the greatness of the show. After so much time, and with a whole different studio in charge, there are just too many factors. Would they even use puppets? If they did, would they try to get the original performers that are available? If they didn't, would they bother trying to find new performers who could really channel the characters, or would they just go for broad caricatures? (Wembley--we need a squeaky voice! Red--we need a spunky girl!) What about the writers? Would they find someone who understood and cared about the spirit and tone of the show? Does that person understand the characters well enough to write dialogue for them? What about the music? Can anyone really replicate Fraggle music? Would they try, or would we just get generic, vapid "kids'" music? And the scariest thought of all: would they try to make the Fraggles "appeal to today's children" by having rotten attitudes, bad jokes, ridiculous dance moves and pop culture references that have no place at all in the Fraggle world?

I don't know...I love the Fraggles so much, but I just can't see a movie as a good idea at this point. I'm thrilled half to death that some of the puppets are back, and I hope Henson uses them in internet shorts, commercials, appearances, whatever. But a movie? . . . maybe not.
    bandit likes this.
  19. Drtooth

It's good if it works and has a strong script. And also if Henson has total control over what the movie is like (the heads of Muppet Studios helped shape that film quite a bit, and the writers welcomed the changes, making the film better than it could have been).

It is a huge gamble it could turn out the same frantic crap they put in kid's movies that aren't by Pixar these days. Hopefully they'll try to avoid that as mush as possible.

But face it. We've had 7 theatrical Muppet movies, 2 theatrical Sesame Street movies... I feel we've been robbed of a Fraggle movie. Too bad we didn't get one when Jim was around.

That said...

Collgoff... I'm saying this one last time. Please refrain from drudging up any and every thread about the Fraggle Rock movie. Just because we've heard that a new production company stepped in, doesn't make this film getting made a guarantee. We've discussed this multiple times.
  20. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but you guys hit the nail on the head. If Fraggle Rock made a come back, it would have to be through a smaller vehicle. A movie wouldnt be easy to pull off correctly.
    Id be happy with more little cameos or shorts.