Is the Puppet Renaissance over?

Hays

Reaction score
In another thread, a member posted that both Between the Lions and Bear In The Big Blue House have been cancelled. I know other shows using puppets have been troubled (Crank Yankers almost didn't get another season)

Puppetry was really gaining a foothold in the public eye; I've been glad that so many puppeteers are working. What happened? I thought those two shows had years of life left in them!

Is this an issue of lack of public interest, of production costs, or just that the shows are naturally aging? Anybody?

Kye

Reaction score
I didnt hear about Crank Yankers almost getting Yanked.. Its one of the funniest shows on TV! Was it ratings or censors??

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
These things usually come in waves, they'll be more puppetry back around soon. I am not sure if it is just by chance or because of the entertainment industry's "Herd Mentality" but I am sure we will see another surge in a few years or so.

The early eighties rode in on the heels of the Muppet Show and brought us Fraggle Rock, Muppet movies and specials, Spitting Image and ALF (among others). Then there was minor uptick around in the early 90s and from the late 90s to until about a year ago there was a flood of new projects (Muppet Show's anniversary, the ALF revival, the Sock Puppet, Crank Yankers, Lion King, etc.).

Puppety is one of the human races' oldest forms of expression - it's been around for thousands of years so I doubt it's going anywhere over the long term.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Let's hope it isn't over, and only hitting a dry spell. i didn't realize Bear was canceled, too bad.:boo:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i don't think puppetry can die out...there are too many people that love it....sure it will hit bumps in the road..but right now the entertainment business in general is hitting hard times....even animated films aren't doing near as good as they should....

Sarah