Is this cartoon really so bad?

LinkiePie<3

Reaction score
Reminds me more of Max Flischer's "follow the bouncing ball" cartoon. (though, it's not one)...

HintHint ~ Betty Boop! :flirt:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno... I really can't watch the whole thing at the moment, and after about a minute I just gave up...

Here's my feeling...

1930's cartoons run hot and cold with me. The Fleischer Studio did some of it's best work in that period (except the 1940's Superman shorts... those were well ahead of their time... if you overlook the WW2 propaganda pieces), but it seems that the real movements came out of the 1940's... the magical theatrical era of the 40's-early early 60's.... especially the stuff that came out of Termite Terrace. I put those on the highest pedestal there is.

Now, there were GOOD ones and there were we wanna do what the others are doing ones. They aren't necessarily all bad, but some were, as this one shown, wildly uncreative and unremarkable.

Now when it comes to classic cartoons I really dislike, the only one I truly hate is the uber-boring, painful to watch Jack Frost. I mean, I dislike Play Safe (it's on literally every copyright expired DVD and VHS cartoon compilation EVER... I'm not even exaggerating), and there are some others that are only great for their animation... but Jack Frost is just... just terrible.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHWmiQ3v9A
People keep bashing it, but I don't see a problem.
From the YouTube comments, it looks like some people don't like it because it's considered a rip off of other cartoons. Fans get hostile about those kinds of things, heh.

By itself, it was OK, I liked the song at the beginning. But I'm just not usually a fan of cartoons made up almost entirely of sight gags. The same way I don't like live actions films that are mainly physical comedy. Not putting them down or anything, that's just me. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what cartoons I never have any love for? Those late 1920's cartoons where everyone saw Steamboat Willie and said "HOLY CRAP! We can make cartoons with SOUND!" and preceded to make terrible cartoons about dancing flowers and dancing farm animals with NO plot whatsoever. Maybe a racial stereotype thrown in for "laughs." Yucka. Historical value is one thing, but they have zero entertainment value.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know what cartoons I never have any love for? Those late 1920's cartoons where everyone saw Steamboat Willie and said "HOLY CRAP! We can make cartoons with SOUND!" and preceded to make terrible cartoons about dancing flowers and dancing farm animals with NO plot whatsoever.
Reminds me of certain CGI films today which shall remain nameless, lol. Pioneering effects sure, but no substance. :wink:

Rose

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong withthe film itself. Yeah it is a bit dated defantly made for the time period. Lame? Silly? Maybe a little plotless? Yeah but you have to remember this was done in the beginning of animation and sound. SO anything that moved and wasn't ' real '. Got a lot of attention especially after the great depression after ww 1 and 2. Going to a movie theater was like absloutly mindblowing.
Seeing that DVDs CDS VCRS TVS or anything or that nature just simply didn't exsist, and sound recording of any kind was rare and expsive to own a phonograph tapes didn't exsist either unless you count maybe some primitive sound machine that was so complcated and large you wouldn't be able to use use it with out training of somekind.
For example the first ever video tape recorder came out in the late 1950s it was about 8 feet all and had a reel to rell tape that only went in one direction and once recording started it could not be stoped till the tape was finished. About 2 hours.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now when it comes to classic cartoons I really dislike, the only one I truly hate is the uber-boring, painful to watch Jack Frost.
If you think that's bad, try this 1970s "redrawn" version with no sound (the prints were European bootlegs, some of which were silent), redubbed music, and lots of splices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_PwNnReW6o

This user's got several more, including one of the Bosko cartoon "Ups 'n Downs", which has a whole new ending that the Koreans attempted to make!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_Zg6M3s2I

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong withthe film itself. Yeah it is a bit dated defantly made for the time period. Lame? Silly? Maybe a little plotless? Yeah but you have to remember this was done in the beginning of animation and sound. SO anything that moved and wasn't ' real '. Got a lot of attention especially after the great depression after ww 1 and 2. Going to a movie theater was like absloutly mindblowing.
Yes, but so wasn't Betty Boop, and those were some of the greatest, craziest cartoons of all time. Even some of the Felix's that were silent really entertain me now.

Having seen this cartoon, it's just... it's cliche ridden... eating candy, giant musical instruments, a goofy king... nothing about this cartoon is original or memorable, because these cliches went well into the early 40's. I swear, thank Frog for the like of Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Hanna and Barbera who took this applied new technology and made some of the greatest cartoons of all time. This kind of stuff is cute at best... but gimme a classic Droopy Short or even early Daffy Duck cartoons and I'm in stitches.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Having seen this cartoon, it's just... it's cliche ridden... eating candy, giant musical instruments, a goofy king... nothing about this cartoon is original or memorable
Right, that's why people are calling it a rip off on YouTube. It's the equivalent of those rip offs of Thomas the Tank Engine, lol.

But I like watching these anyway, if only because it preserves the voices of people from so long ago. :smile: