It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Appreciation Thread!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Piggy was most felt in her absence here, but I don't mean that as a complaint about her lack of air time. Simply put, this was the beginning of the franchise's realization that the muppets just aren't the muppets without Miss Piggy as the star of the show. (This realization was derailed after NBC sold the muppets, and is only NOW getting back on tract--but that's another post for another--grumpier--thread.) There was a...hmmm...how do I want to say this. There was a general acknowledgement among ALL of the muppets that knew Kermit best that they--and Kermit--just could make it without her. Everyone expects Kermit to "love" the "five golden rings" (bizarre as they are) because Piggy is at the center of it. And the scene where everyone crowds around Kermit, pressuring him to go after Piggy and bring her back home is one of my favorite scenes in muppetdom. There is such...UNDERSTANDING there among them of the way Kermit and Piggy need each other, and how they balance their pride and professionalism and yes, even love, for each other in the face of many trials. And when push comes to hi-yah, the muppet gang knows that Kermit will go and bring home the bacon--right back to where she belongs.
You bring up an excellent point. All throughout Piggy's history, the Muppets (nearly all of them, with maybe the exception of some of the pigs and Maureen the Mink) resented her diva-ness. Even some fans seem to enjoy when she doesn't get the spotlight. It was actually a very big thing for the Muppets to admit they needed her FINALLY. It was treated as just a part of the plot, but if you knew how they all felt throughout the Muppet Show and the other "classic" movies and such, you'd realize just how important this was.

In fact, they also resented Kermit's affections for her. Now, however, aside from some teasing on the special features on TMS DVD with Fozzie, most seem to be perfectly cool with it. Kermit's stress levels seem to rise automatically when he's away from Piggy too long. If they want Kermit to be happy, he needs her. I've been very happy with the way they've been treating their relationship, including the new special. I agree with Steve that it's frustrating that all anyone ever wants to talk about is the marriage ... and it IS funny when Piggy says yes and Kermit says no ... but I like this approach better. They have issues but it's clear that they love each other both now.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
My TV says this movie comes on WGN tomorrow night at 8 eastern for anyone who is interested!