I've Got a Problem

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My dad's playing the lottery now; my mom and I can't get him to stop, and he refuses to stop. "Can't win if you don't play" is his new motto now; any advice?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Is he causing the family budget any harm with his lottery habit Snowthy?

If he is, then he should be talked to in order to gently point out the hurt he's causing his own family. If he won't listen then you'll have to talk to your church pastor for advice.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Hmm, that's a tough one Snowthy. I agree with Marty, if he's causing trouble for your family's budget and well being, it might be best to seek some professional help. If it's not though, maybe it's just something harmless that he'll eventually tire of, especially if he doesn't ever win.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Can't win if you don't play, but almost certainly won't win if you do play and almost certainly will have less than if you don't play. I never play it at all but I agree there is a big difference between playing once in a blue moon for fun and having a frequent compulsion to buy a lot of tickets. I would emphasize how miniscule the odds of winning are and that for every big winner there are thousands who lose. And yeah, maybe you'll find this will be a passing thing, as he gets discouraged after several consecutive losing tickets. The problem is when people win a small amount like $30 and are then enticed to spend a lot on more tickets.
I also one time yahoo searched, "Should Christains play the lottery?" and every site that came up was against it. Maybe you could find some additional thoughts from some of those sites.

BEAR

Reaction score
That is tough. I agree with what everyone here has said so far. It is definitely an addiction (basically in the gambling category) that can be serious if you aren't careful. If it is damaging your family's financial well-being, then get some help.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Some Christian denominations are against gambling, others are not. I'm Catholic, and we do have gambling (Bingo for one), it's not considered a sin, unless it's starts becoming an addiction and a problem.

I think that makes sense, you just can't let it become an obsession.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bingo is considered gambling now? What, the geriatrics wanted to up the anty a little? Lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When it's played for money, yeah. That's been going on for years.

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I play lotto once a week but i always make sure my family has food in the fridge and a roof over the head. I spend $10.00 a week on lotto. I think it i okay as long as your bills are paid and it isn't affecting your family. we have won a few times not big amounts the most we have won is $50.00 on lotto.

BEAR

Reaction score
melissa@muppet said:
I play lotto once a week but i always make sure my family has food in the fridge and a roof over the head. I spend $10.00 a week on lotto. I think it i okay as long as your bills are paid and it isn't affecting your family. we have won a few times not big amounts the most we have won is $50.00 on lotto.

That's wonderfully fine. It isn't getting in the way of other more important priorities. I think that there is nothing wrong with good fun gambling, but it's important to be responsible about it just like alcohol. Have a drink every now and then, but don't risk your health.:wink: