"I've grown accustomed to your face" in 30 years special

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the clip of kermit lip syncing to I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face shown in The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years was from? Was it from the Muppets national television debut on The Tonight Show (assuming that episode, or at least that segment, was saved. I'm not sure whetehr the shows from the Steve Allen years still exist, and I know that Johnny Carsons first show wasn't saved), another variety/ talk show that the muppets appeared on (it was performed on quite a few shows), or Sam And Friends (if it was even performed on Sam And Friends)?

Saironi

Reaction score
It was performed on The Ed Sullivan Show and debuted Yorick, the little purple monster.

jobedo

Reaction score
According to PBS in their Jack Parr special he was discovered by Parr and performed that skit, "i've grown accustom to your face",witch they showed. JIM HENSON did kermit and his WIFE did the face monster
JOE

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Saironi said:
It was performed on The Ed Sullivan Show and debuted Yorick, the little purple monster.
Yorick was not Debuted on the Ed Sullivan Show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The performance on The Ed Sullivan Show was in color. The clip was in black and white. I'm not sure how likely it is that henson would have been given a black and white copy of the scene (unless henson had a black and white copy and chose to use that rather than ask the owners of the show for a master copy).

According to the Ask Henson section of henson.com, it was performed on a few different variety shows (though that site didn't mention that it was on The Ed Sullivan Show). It's possible that it was on Sam And Friends (since a lot of routines on that show were remade on variosu variety shows and the muppet show), but I doubt that clip was from S&F (since audience laughter was heard in the clip and I don't think Sam And Friends had a laugh track or live audience, and I don't think that the recording that Kermit was lip syncing to would have laughter in it).

I do know that Kermit and Yorrick performed it on The Tonight Show in 1958. It's mentioned in the book The Story of Jim Henson: Creator of The Muppets.

David French

Reaction score
I've just checked my off-air copy and the year given is 1958, so that suggests that it's from the Tonight Show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
David French said:
I've just checked my off-air copy and the year given is 1958, so that suggests that it's from the Tonight Show.
Oh. I forgot that a year was included. I know that some years were lsited on-screen for some clips. There was one for the clip from The Jack Paar Show with Kermit performing Inchworm. By the way, do you remember what year that clip was from?

I wonder why years weren't listed for every clip included, or at least every major clip (though the Inchworm clip was part of a montage, albiet a longer clip than most of the other clips in that montage).

David French

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Oh. I forgot that a year was included. I know that some years were lsited on-screen for some clips. There was one for the clip from The Jack Paar Show with Kermit performing Inchworm. By the way, do you remember what year that clip was from?
I checked my copy again last night and the caption read 1964.