Jim Henson 101

dbp@UA

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the boards here. I recently started a 6 week college course titled "Jim Henson's America" and ran across these boards while searching the web for info on Jim Henson.

The course is an American Studies class at the University of Alabama (I took "The Beatle's Era" during the summer). Our text book is Jim Henson: The Works (The Art, the Magic, the Imagination). So far I love the class. We had our first test today which covered his early years, Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, and Muppets on Film.

Anyway.. I may be checking in these boards over the next few weeks. Just wanted to say hey.

Dusty

Whatever

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a college class that cool! What college do you go to? I need to talk my college into running it... why not, they had a class about satire in which they discussed the Simpsons! :big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Wow, a whole class devoted to Jim Henson?? How cool is that??!! :big_grin:
Erin

dbp@UA

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Wow, a whole class devoted to Jim Henson?? How cool is that??!! :big_grin:
Erin

Erin.. I just read a little bit of your review on the Simon & Garfunkel Central Park DVD.. I was in Central Park a couple of weeks ago for the Dave Matthews Band concert.. probably not on the same scale as the S&G concert.. but still an amazing time for me. I was center stage with about 4 or 5 people in front of me and I really think I'll be on the DVD that will be released Nov. 11 because the cameras were on us all night. anyway.. that was all totally random.. but your review on epinions.com made me think about it. :big_grin:

btw.. i go to the university of Alabama for the other person that replied. There are some pretty good 'american studies' classes that can be taken as electives here.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
dbp@UA said:
Erin.. I just read a little bit of your review on the Simon & Garfunkel Central Park DVD.. I was in Central Park a couple of weeks ago for the Dave Matthews Band concert.. probably not on the same scale as the S&G concert.. but still an amazing time for me. I was center stage with about 4 or 5 people in front of me and I really think I'll be on the DVD that will be released Nov. 11 because the cameras were on us all night. anyway.. that was all totally random.. but your review on epinions.com made me think about it. :big_grin:

btw.. i go to the university of Alabama for the other person that replied. There are some pretty good 'american studies' classes that can be taken as electives here.
Awesome! That would be so cool to be on a DVD like that! Not to mention just to be that close at a concert. I once had second-row seats, when I went to see Gordon Lightfoot. Very cool. I've wondered sometimes about live concert CDs and DVDs if you had to pay super-high rates to be in the audience, but then the S and G concert was free, so who knows? I wish I could've been there, even though I would've been seven months old! :stick_out_tongue: Another I would've really liked to have been a part of was Peter Paul and Mary's Christmas concert that they always show on PBS. What a great concert! Thanks for checking out my review. :cool: Do you write for Epinions too, or did you just happen across my profile from here? :smile:
Erin

dbp@UA

Reaction score
i just ran across your profile on here. :smile:
the DMB concert was great.. it was free too.. that's the only way I was able to go. I sat in line all day on the sidewalk but it was well worth it.

p.s. Why was my post moved from the general discussion forum? i'm new to these boards.. so i was just wondering why it was moved..

puppetguy

Reaction score
Dusty,

I'm quite curious about the course you're taking. Moreover, who is your instructor? I'm a puppeteer with a solo company in South AL, (Mobile area) and have been a Henson devotee since I was a child (like most everyone else here). I recently performed shows at the Kentuck Festival in Tuscaloosa.
Please tell me more about your course. If I can assist, please let me know.

David Stephens
www.allhandsproductions.com