Jim Henson Books

wockawocka

Reaction score
Has anyone read the book, Jim Henson: The Works?
And are there any other muppet books you would reccommend reading?

wockawocka

Reaction score
I want books on ANY muppets, like SS muppets, FR, TMS, whatever.

Gonzo

Reaction score
You know, "The Works" is really the best of the best...just about everything else I've ever read has been second-rate. EXCEPT for Sesame Street Unpaved--an excellent excellent book.

Quinnnnnnnn

wockawocka

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Gonzo! I'll check it out! The pictures in "The Works" were fabulous!

Electric Mayhem

Reaction score
I've head "Of Muppets & Men" is a good one. I wouldn't know though, since I'm not willing to shell out $60+ for it on eBay or elsewhere.

Walker Boh

Reaction score
I recommend "The Art of the Muppets" if you can find it (ISBN 0553013130, Bantam Books, 1980). It has lots of great photos.

puppetguy

Reaction score
While "The Works" and "Muppets and Men" are highly detailed references about the overall scope of Jim's work, the only book that even begins to explore his creative process is "Designs and Doodles" that Allison Inches put out a couple of years ago. For me, the most interesting and creative chapters in Jim's life were in his early days when the company consisted of just he and Jane. If you look at some of his variety show peices, he's really got a message he's trying to convey, either about human foibles, art vs. industry, or some social commentary. This is also when he did his most experiementing with puppet styles...if you look at "The Great Santa Claus Switch," made in the early 70's, every style of puppet is represented at one point or another. Same goes with "Muppet Musicians of Bremen" (my all-time favorite, for the music if nothing else!) And there are very few books who spend more than a chapter or two on this part of Jim's carreer, which is sad. Everyone wants to focus on Jim's commercial success with the Muppet Show and breeze through the 20 years it took him to get there, when he was really spreading his creative wings.
Well, there you have it...diatribe for the day.
David
www.allhandsproductions.com

Gonzo

Reaction score
Great diatribe, David!

I think that I (like so many others) love the "Muppets" from about 1970 on...but don't know as much about what came before that, and we're not sure what's coming down the road, so we just hold onto what we do know. I'll have to check out "Designs and Doodles;" I've picked it up before, but always stop just short of buying it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn