Jim Henson Hour

blueduck37

Reaction score
Was bored tonight as usual and cruising eBay for Muppet stuff and came across these pictures from a show called "The Jim Henson Hour"? Here's the main picture: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60402&item=4015994137 ... there are more. Anyway, I had never heard of this show before. When did it air? How come none of these characters were used again? I recognize Bean Bunny of course, but not the others.

Anyone remember this show? :confused:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
The show aired for several weeks back in spring/summer 1989 on NBC. I believe there were about 13 episodes. The show ran for 60 minutes with the first half devoted to the Muppets (both classic like Kermit and newer ones like Bean and Clifford) as they ran a TV station. The second half hour was usually called "The Storyteller" and featured myths and other fantasy stories.

Obviously, the show was not a huge ratings success and wasn't on the air long--my guess is that's why so few of the characters have reappeared in other Muppet productions. Personally, I never really cared for it as much as "The Muppet Show" but "The Storyteller" segments were well done. Then again, it's been 15 years since I've seen any episodes.

Hopefully, this answers your questions somewhat. Other members of this forum (especially JediX) likely can provide more information and details.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I found this info. on the site Tv Tome:

The Jim Henson Hour was an experimentive attempt to recapture the style of The Muppet Show but also incorporate the new and cutting edge puppetry techniques and special effects of the Henson Creature Shop.

13 episodes and a pilot were produced; and although "Sesame Street: 20 Years and Still Counting" was produced as an episode of the show it was never aired with it. Three of the episodes were never aired on American Television until Nickelodeon picked up the series for a brief time, and even then the "Food" episode was never shown.

Most of the episodes followed the same format: the first half hour would be in the MuppetCentral control room where Kermit and friends would have backstage antics a-la The Muppet Show and the second half hour would be an episode of "The Storyteller" or other thirty-minute short film. 9 of the episodes followed this format. The remaining three shows, "Monster Maker", "Secrets of the Muppets", and "Living With Dinosaurs" were different. "Living With Dinosaurs" and "Monster Maker" were hour-long short films and "Secrets of the Muppets" was Jim's explanation of how some of his creations worked. This episode, unlike the other two, did feature some MuppetCentral scenes but they were short and revolved around what Jim was saying.

Unlike The Muppet Show, The Jim Henson Hour featured less reoccuring segments. However, there were a few. The two most prominent and memorable of which were the "Fashion Doll Sketch" and "Hurting Something". The Fashion Doll Sketch was where a little girl and her dog are sitting behind a dollhouse which contained two dolls: Bootsie and Brad. Live actors were made up to appear like the dolls. Hurting Something starred two yuppie monsters and their large pet spider.

This was Henson's last major television program before his death in 1990.

Most of the characters introduced in The Jim Henson Hour haven't been used since. However, some such as Clifford have become popular and have had successful post-JHH careers. The JHH characters also made a cameo appearance in an episode of The Cosby Show entitled "Cliff's Nightmare" in which Cliff has a nightmare after eating a sandwich. This episode was the last time Leon and Digit were used (to the best of my knowledge).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to get more info. for you.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
"Secrets of the Muppets" was my favorite episode, with Jim doing a lot of Narration.

Do you remember the name of the short about a boy and a robotic Dragon? I only remember bits and pieces, but it was cool.

:smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
Do you remember the name of the short about a boy and a robotic Dragon? I only remember bits and pieces, but it was cool.

:smile:
The episode was called Monster Maker, though it was hardly a short. It took up the whole hour of the episode.

jediX

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
I found this info. on the site Tv Tome.
Woo hoo, I replied through someone else! lol (I run the guide/write the descriptions and stuff on JHH over at tvtome).

jediX

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
Cool, that's you?
Yeah, but I've been lazy and havn't added 2 more episode guides/1 update (Updated 'Science Fiction,' 'Monster Telethon,' 'Ratings Game & Miss Piggys Hollywood'). Now that school's out I'll have the time to finish off the series and ::maybe:: transcribe more sketches like I've been doing for the guides I've done thus far. If you'd like to see the other guides I just mentioned, contact me through IM or something.