Jim Henson - voted 5th 'best children's TV voice'

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
The narrator of iconic shows Trumpton and Camberwick Green has the best-loved voice from UK children's television, a survey says.
Brian Cant beat Bagpuss and Ivor the Engine narrator Oliver Postgate into second place, in the poll of over 1,200 people for Underground Ernie magazine.

Actor Sir David Jason, who has voiced shows including Dangermouse, was third.

Cant, now 73, also presented the BBC's Play School, and has acted in shows including Doctor Who and Casualty.

The top five was completed by Bernard Cribbins, narrator of The Wombles, and Jim Henson, who was the voice of The Muppet Show's Kermit the Frog.

"Many of us find it hard to forget the hypnotic-like animation, stop-motion figures, and wonderfully imaginative environments and characters from British children's TV," said Paddy Kempshall, editor of Underground Ernie magazine.

"This poll demonstrates that the iconic status of shows such as Trumpton or Bagpuss were as much due to the voices and narration behind them as the writing, producing or even illustrating were."

The top 20 also featured ex-Beatle Ringo Starr, narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine; Peter Sallis, who voices Wallace in the Oscar-winning Wallace and Gromit animations; and Roobarb and Custard narrator Richard Briers.

The survey was conducted online for the launch of the BBC magazine.

The CBeebies cartoon series Underground Ernie is about an international Tube train system and is voiced by former footballer and TV presenter Gary Lineker.

source : bbc.co.uk
Not bad at all :smile:

zns

Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, but I don't like how they say his character voices were just for children. Most of his work, as all of us devoted fans know, was set out mainly as family entertainment.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Only fifth place?:smile: It's too bad that Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, and Caroll Spinney weren't listed. It is also a bit odd that Mel Blanc and June Foray weren't among the top 5. And Jim Henson is the only one to make that list who I know anything about.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta give them credit. Most of them, as far as we know, are not devoted muppet fanatics like we are, and most people do just take it for granted that the muppets were designed for children.
The one little thing that gets me is that they just mentioned Kermit, but it's still pretty cool. Way da go Jim!
:smile:
:big_grin:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Only fifth place?:smile: It's too bad that Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, and Caroll Spinney weren't listed. It is also a bit odd that Mel Blanc and June Foray weren't among the top 5. And Jim Henson is the only one to make that list who I know anything about.
Well, remember, the poll was being conducted in England, and so they've probably got a different set of favorites there.

But it is very good to see that Jim made the cut...and I'm glad that Peter Sallis was listed too. I really like Wallace and Gromit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...voice? EXCU-U-U-USE ME?!?!

He wasn't a "voice," he was a puppeteer. He did the voice and performance. That's like calling Sir Lawrence Olivier a "voice."

Is Jim Cummings anywhere on that list? Cuz if he's not, it's another reason to be angry at whomever compiled this list.