Jim Henson's Memorial

Tim

Reaction score
I know, I know everyone's sick of this, and I'm not going to open a kettle of boomerang fish, I'm sick of debating the availability of this material as much as you are of reading it.

Up until now, my opinions have been made without actually seeing the entire service, so I'm only addressing this thread to those members who've actually been to or seen Jim's memorial on video. I'm writing this as though I attended in person, and am passing this along to anyone curious to know what took place. This is not a debate, just some feeling about what I saw, and if you would care to comment in the same way, please do.

I found the service to be both beautiful and surprising. It was warm, loving, at times heartbraking at others wonderfully funny and downright silly-everything Jim was. There was respect, tears laughter and applause, and I think he would have absolutely loved it.

The sheer size and complexty of putting this thing together in no time had to be an awsome undertaking. I don't know who or how they did it, but the Comapany and/or the family is to be totaly commended. Thousands of flowers and beatuiful black and white photos of Jim were everywhere.

I was taken back by the Christian overtones, since Jim didn't seem to activly practice any one belief. The mixture of a boys choir and dixieland band inside the huge gothic chapel would seem strange if it were not for the understanding of Jim's take on life.

There was someone representing nearly every aspect of his career from Sesame Street to The Creature Shop to his own family. Memories were shared even jokes were told, with Frank Oz (as usual) stealing the show. A long outrageos story of Jim taking a photo of Frank "buck naked" followed by his breaking down and hastly exit said it all for everyone. Similar was Bernie Brillstein (appearing after Big Bird's touching version of "Bein' Green"), first noting "Jim always told me 'Never follow the Bird.' ", and unable to continue his comments moments later.

It was wonderful seeing Jerry Juhl, Richard Hunt and Jon Stone again along with Disney's Frank Wells in attendance along with Michael Eisner-as they should have been. However why Darryl Hannah and her sister were there escapes me.

Most spoke with a warm, serious quality, yet many (including the Minister) actually got big laughs. Jane spoke in a somewhat strangly upbeat manner (?) while the kids were obviosly taking it harder, yet pulling together for their father.

Jerry Nelson read a "beatnik" type of speech in Floyd's voice in tribute to Jim's characters, and sang along with Louise Gold. Harry Belafonte did "Turn The World Around" with such energy it drew applause. The core group of performers did a mock "recording session" singing a Muppet medly in character starting with "Baby Face" done in chicken clucks (ina chapel!) and finishing with the puppeteers and their respective Muppet characters doing "Just One Person". The band led everyone out to "When The Saints Go Marching In" just as Jim wanted.

I didn't feel the least bit depressed afterwards, and I only wished I could have attended in person. I felt that this was not so much a sad goodbye, but as Richard said in the begining a celebration of someone's life. I don't see how anyone witnessing this could not feel anything but love and even more respect for this man. I KNOW Jim, if he was able to, loved what he saw.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Great description Tim, I'm getting all chokey.

Great that they held a wonderful service, but... aah, I can't finish right now.

Brinatello

Reaction score
That was beautiful, Tim. I still get teary-eyed at the brief scene of the memorial service from "The World of Jim Henson" of Great Performances. While I'm not sure if the footage exists for anyone to see, watching the entire service would be very hard to do. I recently caught the "Turn the World Around" clip over at YouTube, forgetting how it sounded. I definitely would have sobbed when they played that song. It was rumored to be Jim's favorite.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Very accurate, Tim. Thanks for that. ^_^ I think Michael Frith stole the show a bit too with his little impression of Jim. "Uh, this is Michael, and he, uh, does some of our design stuff?"

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I recall hearing that the core Muppeteers did a rendition of "Lydia the Tattooed Lady," which was one of Jim's favorites.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Yup. Kevin Clash. It was so sweet, hearing Elmo sing such a racy song. And the other Muppeteers joined in, but something went severely, severely wrong with their harmony.

Tim

Reaction score
Brinatello said:
I recently caught the "Turn the World Around" clip over at YouTube, forgetting how it sounded. I definitely would have sobbed when they played that song. It was rumored to be Jim's favorite.
That particular part was much like the rest of the memorial..very upbeat. Jim so loved the silly part of life, it was wonderful to see so many of the people that knew him best crack jokes and remember the humor he gave to us.

I think if the family of Company wanted to break our hearts, it would have been SO easy to do so. Just a film clip montage of Jim's work with "Saying Goodbye" playing alone would have done it. But to see the smiles on most faces as the band played "Saints" made for a warm send off.

The sad part for me is NOT the memorial, it's what's happened to the Comapny, the people and the work since then.

Now THAT'S tragic!

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
We come from the fire, go back to the fire, turn the world around. Jim means alot to all of us. The fact that we can rejoice from his life and not focus on his death shows that he left an imprint to possibly turn the around like he did.

Elmo sang a "raunchy" song? It may not be raunchy by today's standards, but I would love to see that.